Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greased Spline on driveshaft, now I'm getting significant chirp/noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Greased Spline on driveshaft, now I'm getting significant chirp/noises

Just last night I was adding some grease to the spline joint of my Lucky 8 driveshaft (was going to get to the rest of the zerks, but this happened). I proceeded to take off my grease gun and I snapped the grease fitting, leaving half of the thread still inside. I managed to retrieve the rest of the thread and I'm pretty certain nothing else foreign is inside.

When driving home, I noticed that there was a defined noise coming from the driveshaft area, and it sounded like chirps mixed in with metallic clunks. Has anyone seen/heard of this before? Could a simple greasing really cause this shift in behavior?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
Just last night I was adding some grease to the spline joint of my Lucky 8 driveshaft (was going to get to the rest of the zerks, but this happened). I proceeded to take off my grease gun and I snapped the grease fitting, leaving half of the thread still inside. I managed to retrieve the rest of the thread and I'm pretty certain nothing else foreign is inside.

When driving home, I noticed that there was a defined noise coming from the driveshaft area, and it sounded like chirps mixed in with metallic clunks. Has anyone seen/heard of this before? Could a simple greasing really cause this shift in behavior?
Yikes. I don't think so. Grease on the spline is the point of the zerk. Id call Lucky8; they'll know what to do.

If you end up taking the driveshaft apart be sure to mark both tubes so you get it precisely back together.