Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great day 4 wheeling with my new club!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great day 4 wheeling with my new club!

I joined the Houston Land Rover Club this month and today we had a nice outing to the Brazos Valley Off Road Ranch, a private property near Bryan College Station, NW of Houston and that must have been a quarry or something once because the hills are everywhere with plenty of big trees growing on them in an area where big hills should not be too common.

I was one of 11 LR's, mostly Discos with 2 LR3's and 2 Range Rovers. I did well but now I know what others like Disco Mike said about my running boards; they have to go and I need some sliders ! I am though, very impressed with my stock bumpers on my '03 that they did quite well on the dips and revines without gouging out too much and no visible damage.

My biggest problem were dry hills (it is very dry here in the greater Houston area) and the hard packed clay underlayment; the tires even though deflated still spun and I had to be pulled up on to steep hills. The clay was so hard it appeared like ice in spots.

I was truely impressed with the great engineering behind the gearing of the Disco and the Down Hill Decent mode and the TC mode, they really helped me and surely mad up for dumb things like the 3 amigos and other problems inherrent in some of the Disco line. I was really glad about my year ago purchase after this trip-my first real off road experience yet. 4 wheel drives have come a long way from my 1972 FJ55 Toyota LC!

I will post some photos to a website later for anyone to check out.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great day 4 wheeling with my new club!

Very Cool..
Im up in Oklahoma City..
Ask your buddies if they know of any good resources, like maps of trails in the Ozarks..
Would like to do some Camping in out of the way locals.. Not necessarily tough trails but novice stuff with great views..