Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Great Head Gasket Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UPDATE:

Ok, so i have successfully removed the battery box, air filter box assembly with hoses, grille, radiator hoses and t-stat.
I assume that I need to completely remove the radiator as well but I cannot figure out how to un-couple the hoses that go to the other little radiators in front of the main radiator (titled GEARBOX COOLER and ENGINE OIL COOLER in RAVE). They do not seem to have a nut on them.

When I remove the radiator do I keep the tranny and oil cooler on there or do I disassemble it down to its component parts to get it off?

Also, am i correct in assuming that our radiators do NOT have a drain on them, because I can not find the little bastard if it is there? NOTE to landrover; WTF?! a radiator with no drain?! GRRR...

I do believe it is time to drink a beer while I wait on the answers.

POP! glug glug glug...

thanks
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no radiator drain plug, just pop off the lower hose. Yeah what were they thinking...
You do not need to pull out the radiator unless you are going to take off the front of the engine.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Winching

yet another question:

do i need to purge the a/c system before I remover the hoses from the condensor and compressor? I assume that I will need to get the system recharged after reassembly? (stupid question I know , but I AM the guy who failed shop class after all)

thanks again guys
brian

Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not remove the a/c hoses - not unless you really want to. Move the compressor over into the spot for the air filter box, be careful not to damage the a/c hoses.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Winching

a/c can stay on? I like it.

i didnt realize until my second beer worth of looking at the lines that there exists a rubber portion in the middle of the hose that is flexible. it makes so much more sense now.
thank you!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Winching

UPDATE:

ok, I now have the A/C compressor off (with its lines still attached - THANKS!) and the alternator off. serpentine belt too.

whats next? I am going to assume that I am ready to remove the throttlebody/upper manifold thingy (you see that ? I am already talking like a mechanic. Using technical jargon and everything.lol)

ok, got most of the wires, cables, and hoses disconnected from the upper manifold thingy, now why wont the friggin' thing come off?!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Winching

hey hey! 2 band-aids, and 3 beers later I got the manifold off! yea for me. is that gasket under it reusable ? where do i get it if it is not reusable? it appears to be metal or bi-metal.

thanks
brian

the adventure continues!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You better read the shop manual before you go any farther. You do not disconnect any AC hoses nor do you remove the radiator.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pilsner
hey hey! 2 band-aids, and 3 beers later I got the manifold off! yea for me. is that gasket under it reusable ? where do i get it if it is not reusable? it appears to be metal or bi-metal.
If you're talking the valley gasket, you can get that at Autozone, it's special order, obviously, but mine came in the next day, I think somewhere around $35.

This it?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Winching

I did not remove the A/C hoses or the radiator. good save guys! (the radiator was gonna get cleaned while I had it out of the vehicle but that was before I knew what I had to do to get it out)

The name seems to be UPPER MANIFOLD INLET GASKET in RAVE. Mine does not match what you have shown.

Btw lipadj46 - did you just tell me to read the directions?! Minus 5 man points for you! Every man knows that is perfectly acceptable to ask your friends for help -i.e. you guys on here - but you can NOT read the directions! geez....

thanks and I return to the adventure

Last edited by pilsner; 06-09-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply: The Great Head Gasket Adventure