Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Noise upon deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:12 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise upon deceleration

I have a 2003 Disco II that is making a grinding noise that sounds much like metal on metal breaks when I am decelerating. This noise does NOT occur when I accelerate at all.
I thought it might be breaks until the other day when I randomly threw the transmission into neutral while coasting down a hill and the noise stopped.
I read a post about the same type of issue
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...ng-down-22715/
and was wondering if by the noise stopping when the transmission is in neutral would point more to a transmission / transfer case issue, or still apply to the ujoints and drive shaft issues.
Any help would be truly appreciated
Ted

Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

No matter what, the first thing to do is pull the front shaft in inspect it. If it fails, it will likely lunch your transmission. You don't kid around with front shaft issues. I wouldn't drive it until it's inspected.

If you have a drive shaft shop rebuild the front shaft, be absolutely certain you tell them to replace the u-joints and the CENTERING BALL. I've read about people having shafts rebuilt, and the shop fails to replace the centering ball, which is often what fails and causes the shaft to come apart.

If the front shaft checks out as good, I'd pull the rear shaft and check it.

After that, you start looking at bearings in the transmission, transfer case, and differentials.

Last edited by dr. mordo; 10-12-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was a toasted Ujoint which was apparent once I got it up in the air.
Thanks for the help Dr. Mordo

Old 10-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad you checked it out!

Like I said, be sure to replace the centering ball. From what I have read, they fail and it makes the shaft behave strangely which causes the u-joints to fail. Just replacing the u-joints is asking for trouble.

BTW, these shafts are a serious pain in the ***, and I've rebuilt a handful of shafts in my life. To me it'd be worth $150ish for someone else to do it. More than that and I'd bite the bullet and do it myself. You can also buy an aftermarket shaft, but personally I prefer the stock shaft.

www.discovery2.co.uk / Workshop :- front and Rear propshaft (I do not recommend using a hammer to remove the u-joints on these shafts!)
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/