Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting the air conditioning system

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

@Alex, did you notice any change in engine coolant temps after removing the condenser/radiator?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Pro Wrench

Whew. removed all the pipes and evaporator today. That was a job. I managed to do it with only removing the air box. The bolts on the firewall are a real piece of work. Almost have the condenser out.

I'm not sure yet if the aux fan can be retained with the condenser gone? Mines really beat up and whines, so I think I'll look for a replacement. Any tips? Heck, maybe I'll just remove the fan altogether. Blocks airflow when not running (which is 95% of the time) and with A/C gone, possibly unnecessary.

Now I'm itching to delete SAI. Alas... I think I would regret it living in california.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 09-19-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:29 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Often thought the same thing about that electric fan, blocks more air flow than its worth. Now, if you are running A/C...it's a must.

Heck, that's a ton of work taking out the evaporator. I'm not going that far to shave off pounds...lol. Picking up a belt after work and will remove compressor and hoses tonight. Still looking at that rear seat (double one), and may remove it. Grandkids won't be happy, but I'd really like to have more room for camping/hunting stuff.

Brian.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Hmm I meant drier, not evaporator. The tube in front of the condenser. Where's the evaporator? Is that the thing behind the dash? If so, I don't think it can be removed as the unit does both heating and a/c. And yes it would be a lot of work to remove... but I heard it's heavy...

Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Hmm I meant drier, not evaporator. The tube in front of the condenser. Where's the evaporator? Is that the thing behind the dash? If so, I don't think it can be removed as the unit does both heating and a/c. And yes it would be a lot of work to remove... but I heard it's heavy...
Yep that's where the evaporator lives, under dash. No gain trying to remove that.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Pulled the condenser and fan today. You can just barely wiggle it out with the radiator popped off its bottom mounts and leaving all the pipes and hoses connected. BIG difference in airflow, and temps. I'm not idling above 200 anymore. I used to idle 203-206, now I idle 195-197. The condenser was also caked in dirt so maybe that contributed to the problem.

With the condenser gone, there's no way to mount the fan without making something custom. You also need to relocate the ambient temp sensor to somewhere else.

bonus: pretty sure the power steering pipe can now be serviced from the front with the condenser gone, and possibly even the oil and transmission cooler as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Me, I'm removing the electric fan for good...when everything comes out. To hot today to do much...actually...A/C would be a plus...lol. But, it's gonna be out of here soon.

Not surprised in the least about the improvement, on cooling, with the fan and condenser gone. Usually steam clean my rads/condenser out once a year.

Brian.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Pro Wrench

Project complete. The last little hack I did was grind the welds off the temp sensor bracket to the support bar and remove bracket. The hole where the wire ties went becomes the mounting hole. Bend it to 90 degrees, then affix to the power steering pipe bracket.

Toss the condenser, two support bars, AC fan, numerous brackets, and dozens of bolts/screws.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Jeff,

Are you saying you didn't put the two diagonal cross bars back in (the ones that mount right behind the grill)? If so, I'm not a hundred percent sure I'd have done this. You may have issues with the grill cracking, if the front flexs.

Removed everything tonight on my rig, most of your stuff looks like new compared to my scrap pile. Once I started twisting the condenser out...sixty percent of the cooling fins fell out. Picking up the belt tomorrow, so I'll put a fork in it then.

Brian.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm talking about the two horizontal support bars that bolt onto the condenser, used for mounting the aux fan. The only purpose of those is to mount the fan and hold the sensor.

I kept the two diagonal bars.

The only thing a little ghetto about the whole project is the upper radiator mounts. The condenser has those rubber feet that fix onto the radiator nub, then bolt to the body. With the condenser gone the mounts wiggle about quite a bit. It's probably fine so I left it, though ideally I guess one would remove the rubber feet from the condenser bracket, then superglue them onto the radiator bracket

Ya my radiator is only 2k miles old. The tranny and oil cooler are original though. Might look into swapping the oil cooler for a tranny cooler. My oil temps get up to 205 on tough spots, but usually around 170-185

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 09-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Gutting the air conditioning system