Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting the air conditioning system

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Gutting the air conditioning system

AC has never worked, I don't use it, so I thought it would be nice to gut out the components to save some engine bay space, weight, and one less bearing to worry about on the belt.

Has anyone done this?
Is there a shorter belt that would work? No ACE.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Alex_M did this > https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...35/#post538216

So at least the legwork for the belt size is done, now just pull the compressor.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 05:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Yep, still running mine like that. It actually takes two bearings out of the equation because you also remove the idler pulley.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Pro Wrench

Bonus!! Sweet. I'm going to get on this. Did you also gut the condenser, pipes, etc?

Can I drain the refridgerant myself or do I need to take to auto shop? And if I take to the shop, can I drive with the compressor still installed and empty?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 09-13-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Even though mine works...was thinking about removing system. Might add a couple more horses, and getting the condenser out of the way would promote better air flow. Thought about wiring up the fan to an independent switch, so I can control it while crawling through the woods at minimal speeds.

Belt info is great, Thank you, Over Rover!

Brian.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Even though mine works...was thinking about removing system. Might add a couple more horses, and getting the condenser out of the way would promote better air flow. Thought about wiring up the fan to an independent switch, so I can control it while crawling through the woods at minimal speeds.

Brian.
switch is a good idea. I wonder if the fan would still kick on if the engine reaches 210F with the a/c deleted?

If I'm on a trail, I'll use 4-lo even if I don't need it. Keeps temps down an extra 10+ degrees

Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 PM
Pro Wrench

This is the belt I ordered: More Information for DAYCO 5070700DR

Should work the same as the Duralast (couldn't find it) as its still 70" and 7-groove

Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Or keep the compressor and use it for onboard air.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Bonus!! Sweet. I'm going to get on this. Did you also gut the condenser, pipes, etc?

Can I drain the refridgerant myself or do I need to take to auto shop? And if I take to the shop, can I drive with the compressor still installed and empty?
I left the pipes but removed the condenser. Not sure on the refrigerant; I would take it to a shop. Should be easy for them. I didn't have any in my system because I stuck a screw through my condenser. Whoops.

Originally Posted by The Deputy

Brian.
I can tell you there is zero power difference because the compressor is not spinning all the time; it's on a magnetic clutch pulley so when the AC is off it just acts like another idler pulley.

switch is a good idea. I wonder if the fan would still kick on if the engine reaches 210F with the a/c deleted?

If I'm on a trail, I'll use 4-lo even if I don't need it. Keeps temps down an extra 10+ degrees
Yes, it does, though I plan to wire mine up on an independent switch anyway.

Originally Posted by Red5
Or keep the compressor and use it for onboard air.
It's not an air compressor, it's an AC compressor. To my knowledge you can't air anything up with it.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

This is the belt I ordered: More Information for DAYCO 5070700DR

Should work the same as the Duralast (couldn't find it) as its still 70" and 7-groove
It will work, that Dayco Belt is 100% cross ref for the Duralast Belt. Just my 2 cents, next time get the Gates K070701 (Napa 25070701) > More Information for GATES K070701

Re: the refrigerant, it just depends on how "green" you are. Sure if you want to send it into the atmosphere you can, but it's on you. "Green" or not I'd take it to a shop. And yes you can drive the truck no worries with an empty AC compressor.

Brian, " Belt info is great, Thank you, Over Rover! ".
>> The credit has to go to Alex_M for the AC belt hack, I just remembered that he did it. And don't ask me how because I can't remember where I put my car keys last.

Quick Reply: Gutting the air conditioning system