Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to be recovered

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to be recovered

Here's one for the off road experts!
I had a situation at the weekend; I managed to get into a ditch and raise one front wheel off of the ground. I got out of the vehicle to inspect the area to see any damage had ocurred, luckily nothing was broken. I got back into the car to drive out of the ditch, only to discover that my disco had become one wheel drive. I only have TC no CDL but I would still have expected the commputer to go to work and pull me out.
I have since tried the TC and HDC in my back field and both seem to work. Is it posssible that I got chicken too early and opted for the tow from a friend? Does it take a few seconds in this situation for TC to kick in? I always thought that it was quite a quick working item, but maybe it is different with a wheel off of the ground?

many thanks guys

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the 3 Amigos lit? If so, then without the CDL you really are pretty much a 1wd vehicle.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

That is the built in tilt delay to allow you time to purge air bubbles from the cooling system lol. Hope you did not have to suffer the indignity of rescue by Hummer.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by colin2496
Here's one for the off road experts!
I had a situation at the weekend; I managed to get into a ditch and raise one front wheel off of the ground. I got out of the vehicle to inspect the area to see any damage had ocurred, luckily nothing was broken. I got back into the car to drive out of the ditch, only to discover that my disco had become one wheel drive. I only have TC no CDL but I would still have expected the commputer to go to work and pull me out.
I have since tried the TC and HDC in my back field and both seem to work. Is it posssible that I got chicken too early and opted for the tow from a friend? Does it take a few seconds in this situation for TC to kick in? I always thought that it was quite a quick working item, but maybe it is different with a wheel off of the ground?

many thanks guys
Assuming your tc works, with one wheel off the ground the tc will take some time to be effective. You should have heard it make some noise as it tried to reroute power. The sweet spot with tc is just a little throttle an let the computer sort it out. If you didn't hear anything from the tc, you may have given it too much throttle. In my disco, tc will disengage completely with a certain wheel speed difference (not sure exactly how much) and you will be one wheel drive. With one wheel in the air, that situation happens more quickly since the unloaded wheel accelerates so quickly. I have had two wheels off the ground while crossing a creek and have pulled away with tc and no cdl. The key is just enough throttle to make the system work.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I didn't wait long 1st time in that situation, rescue was from Nissan pick up. I may have not given enough gentle throtle either. How long is the time delay to purge cooling system then?

No 3 Amigos either TC, HDC and ABS all work fine, it would appear this was a newbie error!!