Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hail

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Default hail

hey all. as i live in nebraska and we tend to get hailstorms, i was wondering if anybody has an opinion about how a D2 holds up thru a hailstorm. especially the aluminum panels

Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

(Wik)Hailstone velocity is dependent on the size of the stone, friction with air it is falling through, the motion of wind it is falling through, collisions with raindrops or other hailstones, and melting as the stones fall through a warmer atmosphere. As hail stones are not perfect spheres it is difficult to calculate their speed accurately. Speeds can range anywhere between 20mph and 100mph. I'd say a hood and roof wouldn't fair well.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Mine has done well with sporadic quarter sized hail. No damage. I think aluminum would do very poorly with anything bigger. I saw one in West Texas that went though the same baseball sized storm I was in (i was in my excursion) (we were both stopped with a hundred other people and nowhere to hide). The excursion got some pretty big dings and even a crease from glancing blows, but the Disco looked like it had been wrecked. Very deep, bowled dings and broken glass. I felt sorry for both of us.

This is the worse the excursion got. Consider that minor compared to the Disco damage. I don't have pictures of the Disco because it would have been rude, but the hood was beaten to a pulp. I know hail broken their sun roof but I couldn't see the roof.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 03-31-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

yeah i was curious about about that. I had a 4 runner that took several poundings and it faired well. My newer xterra cant take small hail without damage. We usually get pea or marble sized hail. usually 2-3 times a year. Golf ball size last year once.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by zuke
yeah i was curious about about that. I had a 4 runner that took several poundings and it faired well. My newer xterra cant take small hail without damage. We usually get pea or marble sized hail. usually 2-3 times a year. Golf ball size last year once.
I'm in east Texas and we get pea and marble some. I've not seen any damage from those and mine has been parked mostly outside for 16 years. A golf ball sized hailstone would definitely leave damage, I think. When big hail is coming I put everything else in the garage and drive the Disco to a car wash.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

We got some quarter sized hail here in VA last summer. I had the Disco parked under a tree with a blanket over the roof, but I didn't have anything to put on the hood. It got two or three minor dings, but that was about it.

These aluminum panels are just so soft that they'll take dings from about anything, but at least they won't rust!