Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone pinned their own liners

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default correct

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I asked cause I wanted to hear from him as to his actual reason , not a bunch of what if's and stories.
First, 03's and 04's have no more issue with a slipped sleeve then any other D2, yes, they have more issues then a D1, got any reason why?????
So my question was simply to see why and make sure he is not jumping on the band wagon over slipped sleeves thread that have been popping up recently.
Be sure to answer my D1/D2 question, if you know why.
Absolutely correct.....liners in 04 and 03 did not slip more than any other year and the tick...99% of the time is cracked oil gear like mine and worn main and rod bearings....I mean really...after 100k on any engine is a crap shoot...unless you think nascar races 100k engines...

Old 03-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodave
Seriously?
You are telling me they use adhesive? And that the liner material is different? And they cast the blocks out of a cheaper alloy?

And that is the difference?
Some engines do have liners that have adhesive or epoxy that helps hold them in place.... I have no idea if land rover did. As far as sourcing a cheaper alloy, I'm calling bogus on that. Seems like a lot of hassle for how few v8 engines that land rover actually sells. And that doesn't explain weird things like why oil pumps blow up on discovery, but you don't see people in the P38 section coming out of the woodwork complaining about it.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
General issues with the engine are probably just because the 50 year old tooling was even MORE worn out by the time the D2 came out. As far as liners moving, since the blocks are the same other than the crank sensor mount (which is a separate piece) the only things I can think of are higher "normal" engine temps designed to reduce emissions and a very complex cooling system design that is less forgiving than the D1. I've seen no one give any actual evidence that anything else is different between D1 and D2 engines such as rumors of the aluminum being different, etc. One thing to think about is reports that P38 with the Bosch engine seem to have fewer engine issues, even though they were made at the same time.

Sadly - the stories of the tools being worn out, are also probably not true. When the V8 line was put up for auction in late 2003, there was statements in the auction listings that much of the equipment was new in 1998 (presumably ready for the new D2 model).

Also, the castings themselves were different - upto fall of 1998, they used the HRC2411 casting. After this date, ALL rover V8 blocks used the LCF000250 casting. If you compare the two, they are different. It isn't just the same master dies with the numbers changed - there are enough differences to clearly show that this was indeed a new casting. So All D2's (introduced in 1998 in Europe) and about half of the P38 production used the same casting. All D1's used the HRC2411 casting.

Why does no-one ever mention the different castings I wonder? Instead we hear odd, unproven claims of adhesives and casting alloys.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vandev
Absolutely correct.....liners in 04 and 03 did not slip more than any other year and the tick...99% of the time is cracked oil gear like mine and worn main and rod bearings....I mean really...after 100k on any engine is a crap shoot...unless you think nascar races 100k engines...
Interesting statement. Source?
I guess I am the 1%.
As is everyone else with a 2003 or 2004 that has / had a rattly engine and grooves in the firing rings from liners moving.

PS - please understand that I am differentiating between engines that have a crack behind the liner and dumping coolant, to those that don't drink coolant, and just have liners that thump large circular grooves in the gasket, but otherwise work just fine and are totally reliable - as much as any lode-lane vehicle can ever be... Those failures seem to hit the 2003 and 2004 motors more than other years.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Why does no-one ever mention the different castings I wonder? Instead we hear odd, unproven claims of adhesives and casting alloys.
Interesting. I knew they changed the block from the 3.9 to the 4.0, but I didn't realize they made other changes later.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ugggg..

Interesting statement. Source?
I guess I am the 1%.
As is everyone else with a 2003 or 2004 that has / had a rattly engine and grooves in the firing rings from liners moving.

PS - please understand that I am differentiating between engines that have a crack behind the liner and dumping coolant, to those that don't drink coolant, and just have liners that thump large circular grooves in the gasket, but otherwise work just fine and are totally reliable - as much as any lode-lane vehicle can ever be... Those failures seem to hit the 2003 and 2004 motors more than other years.
source, word of mouth over the last 10 years with land rover mechanics...forums..my own land rovers.....

I could be totally wrong....but in most cases..including this forum.. most horror stories all start with the rich house wife who has no idea the car takes oil....fact...... trust me on this one....then rich husband so so fixes...so he can cut his losses.... and dumps truck..... truck looks new but deep inside is a bomb waiting to go off......and ends up in the hand of someone without the financial means to rebuild truck like it should have been in the first place...hence the crying and whining on the forums....

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jafir
Interesting. I knew they changed the block from the 3.9 to the 4.0, but I didn't realize they made other changes later.
The blocks are basically identical so far as general shape and machining goes. There are a few minor differences like in the area around the rearmost cross-bolts, the areas I've forgotten about.

Last edited by turbodave; 03-21-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have sent an Email to M&R Land Rover in Queensland to inquire of their technique of pinning liners with out removal of the engine. I read that they do this by using a right angle drill and it is done from the sump area. Somehow they drill/tap/ and secure a bolt into the motor thru the liners and then dremmel the head of the bolt off. Sounds eerie as hell but, maybe it is a fix.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A little closer to home it is fairly common in at least one well known shop in Indiana- see Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum - View Single Post - Pinning a liner

Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Mudding

Quick Reply: Has anyone pinned their own liners