Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have ABS Amigo, replaced parts, lights still on

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have ABS Amigo, replaced parts, lights still on

As the title says, I have the Amigo and used it to determine what is causing the lights to be on. Originally it was SLABS and right front sensor. I did Josh's fix and the SLABS error went away and hasn't been back for months. ABS works fine. I finally ordered a wheel speed sensor from roverland parts and put it in yesterday. Pretty straightforward install. I plugged in the Amigo and started it up and the 3 lights immediately on, even before I put it in gear. With the old wheel speed sensor the amigo would turn them off for anywhere between a few seconds up to an hour and then they would come on while driving. Now they don't even turn off. Did I get a bad sensor (they have a return policy) or do I have something else going on. Oh yeah, the Amigo still says bad right front speed sensor when I read it so that hasn't changed. The brakes are relatively new and don't squeak, even though I don't think that should matter if the truck isn't moving when the lights are on. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would say the speed sensor is bad if the front right is what you replaced. u sure the code is the speed sensor and not the hub right?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Just cause it said you had a bad speed sensor, a warped rotor or a bad hub can also cause the same fault code.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is the bearing actually loose? Seen quite a few have bad bearings and or hubs that cause the issue. You did actually check for loose parts before beginning the job correct?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It may just be the gap between the sensor and teeth in the hub is too large. When you put the new sensor in is seated all the way in? Have roverland parts send you another sensor just to be sure. You may just have a bad hub though.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the responses fellas,

I checked for play and found none, is there any way to tell that the hub is bad? About having too large a space between the sensor and the hub that might be worth looking into. When I did the front brakes several months ago I pulled the sensor out to clean it hoping that this might somehow be all I needed to clear the lights. I found that the o-ring in there was cut so I got one that was similar in size but not exactly the same to replace it. I reinstalled this non LR o-ring again without even thinking about it. Do I need to get the right o-ring from the dealer? Is there any way to measure the gap to see if its in spec? I don't think this is caused by a bad bearing or the brakes as the truck does not need to move and the lights are immediately on. The amigo never even turns the ABS or the TC light off, only the HDC off sometimes and it turned them all off (for a minute or two) before I replace the sensor. Thanks again...

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling

When you say you checked for play, what exactly are you talking about? The sensor or the hub? If you are talking about the sensor, jack the wheel off the ground and check to see if you have any play in the hub. There shouldn't be any "wobble" or looseness.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Overlanding

Just an update to close this thread out. I called Roverland Parts and they sent me a new wheel speed sensor at no charge. I swapped them out, plugged in the ABS Amigo and.... NO LIGHTS!!!! I have had this thing for going on a year and every time I get in it now I takes me a second to realize that having those stupid lights not on is what looks different. Anyway, thanks to Roverland for the replacement sensor. Oh, the only other thing I can think of is I changed out the orings between sensors and the one I put on was a 1/4", I think the one I took out was a slightly larger metric one. I doubt that makes a difference but you never know.