Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Set Contents

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Set Contents

Anybody know where there is a list of the gaskets and seals that come in a head gasket set. I have some I don't know what they are for. Thanks. Tom

Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the same problem when I did my head gasket job. I called AB and they told me that there are extra rings and seals in the kit to cover more land rovers then just the discovery 2 so there will be extra stuff left over. I have a picture somewhere that I will look for that shows the left over parts I had. Off the top of my head I know that you will for sure use: 8 small black rubber o-rings for the injectors and all the blue valve stem seals.

Let me look through my pictures and get back to you.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is the picture of the pieces in the head gasket kit that I don't think you will use on a D2.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...h-100_1899-jpg

I had the same question you did when I got my kit from AB. I made a Thread a while back when I did my head gaskets and a few other repairs. It might answer some of your questions. If you want to check it here is the link "Doing a major 100k mile service"

Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Here is the picture of the pieces in the head gasket kit that I don't think you will use on a D2.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...h-100_1899-jpg

I had the same question you did when I got my kit from AB. I made a Thread a while back when I did my head gaskets and a few other repairs. It might answer some of your questions. If you want to check it here is the link "Doing a major 100k mile service"
OK. Great. That helped a lot. I still have 16 small black o-rings (not valve seals), 2 large black o-rings, 2 small black seals with a groove around the edge, 2 different composite gaskets and 1 small composite gasket I can't account for.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK. Great. That helped a lot. I still have 16 small black o-rings (not valve seals), 2 large black o-rings, 2 small black seals with a groove around the edge, 2 different composite gaskets and 1 small composite gasket I can't account for.
some pictures would help if you have them.

Off the top of my head, I think the 16 o-rings are for the injectors (2 for each), 1 small composite is for throttle body heater, 1 composite for the throttle body/upper intake connection

I really need to see them to be sure

Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the 16 small o-rings are for the injectors. It's a good idea to replace them, I made the mistake of not doing this the first time and had air leakage that triggered the check engine light. BTW, you will probably also need to replace the nylon retaining rings, available here:

Bosch Type-3 O-Ring Retainer Flat

Old 01-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just received a victor reinz head set and have 16 squared o rings 8 a bit bigger than a quarter and 8 about the size of a nickel. No idea what the heck they may be for.
Also no definite sign of where the gasket has failed but definite signs of coolant in cylinder #4. Also the darn thing is full of milky crud (in valve covers and a little in the valley! Also similar on the back side of the throttle plate.
No signs of a slipped liner so far
Still need to clean and check for warp. Gaskets are discoloured differently from top to bottom.
No sure what to expect at this point but I guess the short block is coming out!

Old 01-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Discoaddictnorth
Just received a victor reinz head set and have 16 squared o rings 8 a bit bigger than a quarter and 8 about the size of a nickel. No idea what the heck they may be for.
Also no definite sign of where the gasket has failed but definite signs of coolant in cylinder #4. Also the darn thing is full of milky crud (in valve covers and a little in the valley! Also similar on the back side of the throttle plate.
No signs of a slipped liner so far
Still need to clean and check for warp. Gaskets are discoloured differently from top to bottom.
No sure what to expect at this point but I guess the short block is coming out!
Any signs of coolant in 3,4,5 or 6 are almost 100% indicative of a block failure behind the liner. Sorry bud.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE
Sent my heads to my engine guy (been dealing with him for over 15 years and trust him.
He checked the out and checked for warp etc. Pressure tested them no problems found.
So I suspect a line issue. Pulled things apart and pulled the engine out (figure I either need to replace it or rebuild it either way needs to come out��.
Man O man , bell housing bolts are a pain in the but!
Started cleaning things up to figure it out.
Cylinder 4 and 3 both have definite vertical cracks in the sleeve!
At first I though I figured it was just dirty or some type of scrape but definitely cracked . Looks lie possible top to bottom of the sleeve.
Did some research and price shopping around.
Sleeved liners about $90 us from L.A. Sleeve (about $130 Canadian ) plus taxes import brokerage and shipping, would be near $1400 total.
Turner engineering - ductile Iorn flanged liner with Orpington on the bottom list for $45 pounds ($90 Canadian.
I just ordered flanged liners, timing chain (stiff) lower end gaskets and seals including shipping for under $1000 including import and shipping.
I will share pictures of the cracked sleeves and progress on the rebuild as I progress
Wish me luck��
Was se

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Send pics of the cracked liners, never seen that before! Thanks

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Set Contents