Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets done, The Block is done!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
This may be dumb, but if you have a 4.0 why can't you find a DI 4.0 and put it in there? I know there is a difference with the gems and bosh, but what exactly is the difference besides the intake?
But why can't you do this??? I see 4.0L go for $500 bucks and there is nothing wrong with them all the time.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This may be dumb, but if you have a 4.0 why can't you find a DI 4.0 and put it in there? I know there is a difference with the gems and bosh, but what exactly is the difference besides the intake?
You can with modification and swapping the heads.
The different blocks have different sensors, the crank sensors are different and thus bolt up different, I have no idea if the DII crank sensor will bolt right up or not.
The DI block has the ports for the engine oil cooler, the DII does not, then can be blanked.
The accilleries are all different too, like the alternator bracket, power steering pump, etc.
Lots of stuff to swap over, could probably be made to work if a guy really wanted it to.

I would just buy a bottle of K-Seal and see what happens.

If that didnt work I'd just keep putting water in the cooling system, cheap gas and dollar store motor oil, I wouldn't even bother changing it and drive it until it blew.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

OK I dare you.
Put in two bottles of Barr's Leaks.
Bet it helps..

Not permanent like K-Seal but -- if K-Seal is scary to you, then put in Barr's leaks.
You can always get it out by just a drain and a flush

Use the Force, Luke

Put in TWO of these

I run this stuff in my Discovery I.
Like ALL the time.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
You can with modification and swapping the heads.
The different blocks have different sensors, the crank sensors are different and thus bolt up different, I have no idea if the DII crank sensor will bolt right up or not.
The DI block has the ports for the engine oil cooler, the DII does not, then can be blanked.
The accilleries are all different too, like the alternator bracket, power steering pump, etc.
Lots of stuff to swap over, could probably be made to work if a guy really wanted it to.
A) It would be interesting for someone to check that out if the crank sensors would bolt up
B ) You could always add an external oil cooler. That wouldn't be a bad thing.
C) All the accessories are mounted to the front cover. From what I have read, the front cover on the 4.0 bosh fits the 4.0 gems. Not sure if that is true or not. If it is, 99.9% of the time when a liner goes the front cover is not affected at all.
I was just wondering about all this. I wish I had a 4.0 gems and a 4.0 bosh to see how it cross referenced!!!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

A) It would be interesting for someone to check that out if the crank sensors would bolt up
B ) You could always add an external oil cooler. That wouldn't be a bad thing.
C) All the accessories are mounted to the front cover. From what I have read, the front cover on the 4.0 bosh fits the 4.0 gems. Not sure if that is true or not. If it is, 99.9% of the time when a liner goes the front cover is not affected at all.
I was just wondering about all this. I wish I had a 4.0 gems and a 4.0 bosh to see how it cross referenced!!!

The crank sensor mount is welded in the block. all you have to do is grind off the weld and switch mounts, 2 minute job. (jb weld the Bosch one in). Other than that the blocks are identical.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
The crank sensor mount is welded in the block. all you have to do is grind off the weld and switch mounts, 2 minute job. (jb weld the Bosch one in). Other than that the blocks are identical.
Thats not that big of a deal at all. Well I know if my 4.0 bosh block goes I'm buying a 4.0 gems and I'll just swap stuff over.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

******************** UPDATE ***************

Well after the slipped sleeve, my wife and I decided we were done.

I did Blue Devil before th head gaskets, it lasted one day. The truck was overheating in about 10 minutes so driving it was not an option.

We bought a Infiniti M35 and my wife is very very very HAPPY!

That and our Avelanche and we are set on vehicles.

So bye bye Disco, In the words of Eric Cartman "screws you guys I'm going home!"

Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

more spare parts for the rest of us