Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Switch

Hello,

I have a 2001 Land Rover Discovery Series II and am having issues with my (rotates forward and back) headlight switch. I started noticing the issue about a year ago. Every now and again I would go to turn the headlights off and while rotating the headlight switch backwards, it would get "stuck" before I could get the switch completely to the "off" position. I would have to use a little force to turn the light switch to the "off" position. Well, this would happen a few times but not all the time until recently when it got "stuck," I used a little force as I mentioned earlier to turn the headlights off and something finally gave. Now, in order to turn my headlights off, I have to disconnect my battery. If anyone has any information on how to repair this myself I would greatly appreciate it. If not, I guess it's off to a repair shop. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Thanks.

Rob

Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Some say you can dissect the stalk switch and clean the contacts. I say it's easier to replace it with a new unit. I replaced mine a year and a half ago. Check out either Atlantic British or Rovers North.

There are a few write ups on here how to replace it. You will not have to remove the steering wheel will just have to turn the wheel to find that sweet spot where you can access the screws behind the steering wheel.

Last edited by coors; 04-13-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

About a 90 degree turn. Once that something "gave" then a replacement will likely be needed. BTW, while living thru this disconnect the hood alarm switch, the immobilzation can trigger if battery hooked back up and alarm wakes up suddenly thinking the truck is being breached.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

search " Turn signal head light switch dismantled " on here.
It is a post I put on here after my switch needed some TLC...old grease was gummed up. Not sure if this is the extent of your problem, but will let you see the pics of the inside of your switch and can take it apart in about 1/2 hour to see what is going on inside...anything broken? etc
There are a couple of plastic posts in the switch that make the whole thing work when turned. If one of these posts are broken??? and jamming up the unit...sounds like you have more than just a gummy grease contact issue.
Check it out...might be worth looking into before you order a new one (or piece of mind have a replacement before you open it up, just in case)
Patience and make note of how the parts come out, and they will go back together no problem.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...tch+dismantled

and, if you want to practice on another truck head to the u-pull-da-partz boneyard. Will be a problem if key not in truck, requires more damage.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Never mind on those posts inside the switch...remembered they are controlling the turn signal aspect of the switch, not the head lights on and and off.
Cheers

Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

I want to thank you CANAMDiscovery, Savannah Buzz, and Coors. I will start researching this issue with the advice you guys provided and will keep you guys informed of my progress (or lack there of). Your advice is much appreciated.

Rob