Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights - One is regular beam, one is high beam

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 05:51 PM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlights - One is regular beam, one is high beam

When I turn the headlights on in my recently acquired 2001 SE7 4.0 234k miles, the driver side is on high beam and the passenger side is on the normal beam. If I switch on the high beams by pulling the blinker lever, the driver side goes to normal beam and the passenger goes to high beam. I took out both headlamp assemblies and noticed there has been some work (not sure what) on both lights. The driver side electrical harness was connected to the base wiring with electrical tape and someone drilled a screw into the top of the passenger assembly to "hold" it in place?. The passenger side harness was at least connected with butt connectors. I did replace the driver side wiring harness with a new pigtail (#6620R) from AB but it did not correct the issue. Where should I look next? I'm not the best with wiring diagrams but it does seem obvious that a wire is crossed somewhere. Appreciate any help.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by TulsaOK
When I turn the headlights on in my recently acquired 2001 SE7 4.0 234k miles, the driver side is on high beam and the passenger side is on the normal beam. If I switch on the high beams by pulling the blinker lever, the driver side goes to normal beam and the passenger goes to high beam. I took out both headlamp assemblies and noticed there has been some work (not sure what) on both lights. The driver side electrical harness was connected to the base wiring with electrical tape and someone drilled a screw into the top of the passenger assembly to "hold" it in place?. The passenger side harness was at least connected with butt connectors. I did replace the driver side wiring harness with a new pigtail (#6620R) from AB but it did not correct the issue. Where should I look next? I'm not the best with wiring diagrams but it does seem obvious that a wire is crossed somewhere. Appreciate any help.
If I remember correctly there are 3 wires in the harness to the headlight. Find a good clean spot before all the "work" and cut then test with a multimeter which wire is low or high. I do not know the orientation that they should be rewired to the plug however, RAVE should have that information. Or simply look at the pass wires and make the driver side match, the wires should have some different demarcations on them (colors or colored lines on the wires).

Old 11-15-2022, 09:34 AM
8th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks whowa. I swapped the high and low wire connections to the pigtail it's working. I swear I had tried that before but oh well. I appreciate you getting me on the right track.

For anyone else, the pigtail (part #6620R) has three wires (red, blue, and black). The correct connections were red to blue-orange, blue to blue (this may be blue-yellow, hard to see), and black to black. I also attached the page from the wiring diagram.

The following 2 users liked this post by TulsaOK:
jastutte (11-15-2022), whowa004 (11-15-2022)