Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible short on passenger side headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible short on passenger side headlamp

In the two years I've owned my D2 my passenger side headlight has blown multiple bulbs. I purchased Sylvanias from AAP which had a warranty, so I got a few replacements for free. Overlooked the problem because of this. Driver's side has been fine the whole time.

Most recently the bulb has blown again and now the headlight won't work at all, even with brand new bulbs (bought another 2-pack, tried both). The signals, running lights, and high beams work on both sides. The low beam works on the driver's side. I'm thinking there is a short in the wiring for the passenger side low beam.

I should note that there is a correlation between this happening and doing actual off-roading so things like water crossings, rough roads, the use of CDL, HDC, and 4lo manual shifting are other variables in the equation though I'm not saying they're related.

Has anyone had this or a similar issue? I have some electrical resources at work to investigate further but I'm just wondering where to start.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by brolome
In the two years I've owned my D2 my passenger side headlight has blown multiple bulbs. I purchased Sylvanias from AAP which had a warranty, so I got a few replacements for free. Overlooked the problem because of this. Driver's side has been fine the whole time.

Most recently the bulb has blown again and now the headlight won't work at all, even with brand new bulbs (bought another 2-pack, tried both). The signals, running lights, and high beams work on both sides. The low beam works on the driver's side. I'm thinking there is a short in the wiring for the passenger side low beam.

I should note that there is a correlation between this happening and doing actual off-roading so things like water crossings, rough roads, the use of CDL, HDC, and 4lo manual shifting are other variables in the equation though I'm not saying they're related.

Has anyone had this or a similar issue? I have some electrical resources at work to investigate further but I'm just wondering where to start.

Thanks!
check underneath the battery the harness run through there and wires can get kinked and get rubbed between.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
check underneath the battery the harness run through there and wires can get kinked and get rubbed between.
I think this is the case. My electric-savvy coworker was able to narrow it down to the wiring harness itself. It's good until the under hood fuse box and the headlamp itself has continuity. Something funky with the wires themselves.

Thanks for your input!