Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I see your point about banging up the paint. You could always touch it up later without removing it. I know I wouldn't want a black headliner.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

1)You can always just touch up the paint. That's what I like about having a painted headliner.
2)Don't use a two part plastic epoxy from the hardware store, it doesn't stick to the plastic.
Use
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
1)You can always just touch up the paint. That's what I like about having a painted headliner.
2)Don't use a two part plastic epoxy from the hardware store, it doesn't stick to the plastic.
Use https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Adh...marine+sealant
Unfortunately I already used the 2 part epoxy but being I won't be getting to the headline for another week I have some time to remove the epoxy from the roof drains. I used a marine jb weld thinking it would be the right application because its holding water but I see that its not curing to the plastic correctly like you said. Ill have to order some of that 3m sealant off amazon.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
I see your point about banging up the paint. You could always touch it up later without removing it. I know I wouldn't want a black headliner.
Very true, and yeah Im not so sure about the black headliner myself especially with beige trim.

But I could always paint all the trim too... I'm going to keep looking through other forums to get some ideas.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Mudding

So after speaking to a mechanic friend he suggested I run clear tubes for the sunroof drains, this way I can see if they become clogged or not in the future.

So I did and after replacing the tube the same way the existing one was ran I noticed that the water did not drain at all. There is too much of a uphill slope for it to drain. So I ran it a different way to test and see how it preforms. Wouldn't you know it its raining again here in Florida.

So is the image of the existing line I posted below the factory way of running the tubes?

If so I might have a problem with the 2" spacer lift the previous owner decided to do to the front end but not the rear. It does have SLS so maybe it doesn't need it but the car sits higher in the front thats for sure.

New Clear Drain

Existing Drain

Rear Sunroof drain into tail light area

Last edited by DKPhoto; 07-11-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: SP
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
Do you have any photos of the final product? Id like to see how it turned out. How is it holding up to wear and tear? Is it easy to scratch or dig into?
Here are some pictures of mine, completed this past weekend. One of my concerns was the fit at the door frames near the grab handles since the headliner material no longer filled the gap. Turned out not to be an issue at all. However, the gaps between all the plastic panels and ceiling attachments are more visible were the cloth used to be.

As I mentioned earlier, there are wrinkles in the backer board that result from the molding process. Those are now pretty visible regardless how much paint I tried to dab in to them. I can live with it.

I have it parked for now with the windows cracked to let the fumes from the paint vent. I'll give a report back on noise level and durability at a later time.

Attached Thumbnails Headliner day!-img_0679.jpg   Headliner day!-img_0680.jpg   Headliner day!-img_0682.jpg   Headliner day!-img_0685.jpg   Headliner day!-img_0687.jpg  

Headliner day!-img_0690.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DKPhoto (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Davis31052
Here are some pictures of mine, completed this past weekend. One of my concerns was the fit at the door frames near the grab handles since the headliner material no longer filled the gap. Turned out not to be an issue at all. However, the gaps between all the plastic panels and ceiling attachments are more visible were the cloth used to be.

As I mentioned earlier, there are wrinkles in the backer board that result from the molding process. Those are now pretty visible regardless how much paint I tried to dab in to them. I can live with it.

I have it parked for now with the windows cracked to let the fumes from the paint vent. I'll give a report back on noise level and durability at a later time.

The paint matches very well and looks good other than wrinkles like you said. Looking forward to hearing back about the sound level as that was another concern about painting or bed lining. Nice work! How long would you say it took to paint the whole head liner?

Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

How long would you say it took to paint the whole head liner?

Probably a total of 1 hr to pain x 3 coats. It was hot as blazes so the paint dried pretty quickly. Removing the HL from the truck probably took me 1.5 hrs. I went slowly so as not to damage any of the clips and plastic.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

An 1/8" of foam and a thin layer of fabric ain't gonna do much for noise levels. If you're interested in noise reduction install some Dynamat while you have the headliner out.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mln01
An 1/8" of foam and a thin layer of fabric ain't gonna do much for noise levels. If you're interested in noise reduction install some Dynamat while you have the headliner out.
Good idea, I'm going to order some this weekend so I can install it when I get back in town next week.

Quick Reply: Headliner day!