Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner day!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...al-tips-82723/

Here is a little write up I did on sunroof sealing, and doing it by yourself AND not having to remove the lower pan and disturbing the drains.

I was worried about fitment after paint, but no issues at all, everything went together tight.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
i dropped mine by myself when I first got it and actually used high temp rtv (permeatex right stuff) due to the heat to seal it and its be leak free ever since. Remove the motor first then you can remove the tray yourself. While you have it down, reseal the plastic "boxes" the drain tubes connect to.
I'll use the permatex instead then since you've had good experiences with it. Didn't think about the Heat factor. Did you use the same thing to seal your drain boxes?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...al-tips-82723/

Here is a little write up I did on sunroof sealing, and doing it by yourself AND not having to remove the lower pan and disturbing the drains.

I was worried about fitment after paint, but no issues at all, everything went together tight.
I don't know how I didn't come across this when I was searching through the forums, awesome write up. Thanks for that!

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
I'll use the permatex instead then since you've had good experiences with it. Didn't think about the Heat factor. Did you use the same thing to seal your drain boxes?
for sealing the boxes, I used the jb weld 2 part plastic epoxy

Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
for sealing the boxes, I used the jb weld 2 part plastic epoxy
Thanks I'm planning on removing the sunroof today if the weather permits. Even though I'm not having anymore leaks I think it's a good idea to remove it reseal the roof and plastic drains.

Yesterday I put a coat of plastidip over the bed liner and depending on how that dried I may do another coat to help even it up. I can still see some of the creases in the headliner in some spots so hopefully another coat will hide it.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Mudding
Default I should have called this thread Headliner Month...

So I put the final coat of plastidip over the bed liner today. Sun roof hasn't leaked since I resealed the rubber gasket. Such a fun job removing the old seal...that stuff was nasty and a pain to get off.

Im going to wait until this weekend to reinstall everything just to be sure there are no leaks. I also have to put up the dynomat sometime this week.

Thanks for everyones help and input so far, I'm looking forward to putting everything back together and calling this one done.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DKPhoto
So I put the final coat of plastidip over the bed liner today. Sun roof hasn't leaked since I resealed the rubber gasket. Such a fun job removing the old seal...that stuff was nasty and a pain to get off.

Im going to wait until this weekend to reinstall everything just to be sure there are no leaks. I also have to put up the dynomat sometime this week.

Thanks for everyones help and input so far, I'm looking forward to putting everything back together and calling this one done.
looks sharp man. Real good!!!!

DKPhoto (07-24-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks great. Im glad mine is re-installed and not setting on the ground...ha

DKPhoto (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Mudding

Bad Photo, it was getting dark but I got most of the dynamat in tonight. Not sure how much of a difference its going to make heat wise but as far as sound I can already hear a difference and thats with it only on the roof section. I didn't want this to be a big project so I'm not going to go crazy and wrap everything.

Hopefully I don't have any problem with it sticking with it being 1000 degrees here. Head liners going in this weekend so it has a few days to fall down if its going to.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Mudding

So its finished, sunroofs are leak free. (Just in time for the tropical storm we had this weekend). and the headliner is in! I did it all myself Saturday, wasn't easy but using the front seats I was able to hold it in place and slowly reattach it to the roof.

As a reward for finishing the job Poseidon sent me surf so Ive been in the water for the past two days and got the wave therapy I needed.

Ill post some better photos with the LEDs off. They're supper bright which is nice when its dark, not so much for photos.