Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headliner overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default headliner overhaul

Today, with all the rain we've been having, I have finally decided to attack my headliner and sunroof issues. Like so many other D2 owners, my sunroofs leak under heavy rain. Compounding that is the fact that my GPS puck got ripped off (long story) and so water ingress is also occurring there. My headliner isn't actually sagging (yet), but since I have to drop the headliner to install the new GPS puck and to fix the sunroof drains then I've decided now is the time to be pro-active rather than reactive. As some of you may recall, I've also been thinking about how much I would like my entire interior to be black- so, I've decided to completely remove everything from the dash-level up. I'll be scraping/sanding the headliner down and spraying it with Rustoleum Textured-finish satin-black paint. Every plastic piece will be removed and broken down into individual pieces to paint with Rustoleum satin black spray paint that is formulated to bond to virtually anything. I started today- took out the visors and then removed the mirrors and lights to paint only the plastic and vinyl bits. It is important to me that my truck look like it came from the factory this way when it is all said and done. I'm figuring the headliner project will take at least a week to complete, to be sure to get even coverage on everything and to allow sufficient time between coats and to cure. When it's done, it's going to look awesome!

This is the paint I'm using for the headliner:

This is the paint I'm using for all the plastic and vinyl bits:

After I do the first couple of plastic pieces I'll double-check to make sure they're not too shiny, if I have to I'll switch to flat black and re-spray but I think that to match the dash the satin color will be best.

I figure this will either look fantastic when it's done or absolutely terrible- there's not much chance of anything in-between... Let's hope for fantastic!

I'll post back to this thread with pics as things really start to get underway. As of right now, I just pulled out the driver's side visor and the panel that the sunroof controls go in and painted them tonight. I'm hoping to get the entire headliner and all the other bits and pieces removed tomorrow or over the weekend at the very latest.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck and keep us informed about how it goes!

This is on my list of things to do next spring/summer, so I'll be eagerly waiting to see what happens...

Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Winching

Well, my first impression is that flat black will be preferred to satin black. I'll pick up a can of the good flat paint today and test-paint the other visor, then I'll have a good barometer as to which paint to go with for the whole project.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM
TReK

Ditto on the headliner being on the list of things to do this spring/summer. I like the idea of the 'textured' paint, I was initially thinking of using truck bed liner, but I think that would be too coarse, hope you don't mind if I copy you

I've had great success with the Rustoleum "Hammered" finish paints, so I can only assume the "textured" will be just as nice and classy. Good luck keep us posted!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Ditto on the headliner being on the list of things to do this spring/summer. I like the idea of the 'textured' paint, I was initially thinking of using truck bed liner, but I think that would be too coarse, hope you don't mind if I copy you

I've had great success with the Rustoleum "Hammered" finish paints, so I can only assume the "textured" will be just as nice and classy. Good luck keep us posted!
I've used both the hammered and textured finishes. I repainted my hitch-mounted cargo carrier with the hammered finish and am very pleased with that. Also, the custom light-bar I fabricated to go between my factory roof-rails was painted with the textured paint and it matched the 2.5" Diameter OEM Aero roof rails finish perfectly. I've been very pleased with the textured finish rustoleum and think it will be perfect for the headliner. It should do a nice job of hiding any imperfections without adding a bunch of unnecessary weight like a rubberized paint or bed-liner would.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how did this turn out? Any progress?