Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Replacement Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really didn't want to do it myself... but Im tired of it draping on my like someone breathing down my neck...

I saw the painted headliners and I like the way they look, but pictures don't always show the finer points of the job. SOOOO...Im going to take it out myself and "try" the painted method first. If I don't like how it turns out I can always take it to a shop and have them glue on the material and re-install the headliner myself.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think thats a good plan. should be one of those permanent fixes. im right behind you. what color? what paint. prep will be key. i like the light bedliner product. take pics. i know its been done but still.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
i think thats a good plan. should be one of those permanent fixes. im right behind you. what color? what paint. prep will be key. i like the light bedliner product. take pics. i know its been done but still.
My interior is black, so I have a light gray headliner and light gray panels. I saw others with pictures with the light gray panels and went with a black painted headliner...I thought it looked good so I think Im going to go that route. I have a black on black Disco, so I think the black headliner on the light gray panels will make a sweet contrast. My only concern is the additional road noise I have read other mention.

As far as prep I was going to use a 4" window scraper, the kind you buy at Lowe's that has a 4" razor blade. I was going to use that to get the heavier residue off the fiberglass headliner mold. Depending on how it looks once thats off I would prob switch to high grit (light) sand paper to get off the last of anything and finally rub it down with some 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper to smooth it out before paint. I have read about others using pressure washers for this process but that sounds like a mess waiting to happen and I don't want to wait 2-3 days for the mold to dry out and then deal with it being flimsy after soaking it..

After all the scraping and sanding is down I will wipe it down with a damp cloth and likely use a flat or semi-gloss black paint. I'm still debating on using a rattle can, or using a roller.

I have Jet Ski races today, I plan on tackling this tomorrow (Sunday 5/20) so I have a day left to decide...I will likely rattle can it though...I will def post pics of the entire process.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Pro Wrench

maybe you're doing it now?

id be careful with that wallpaper scraper as the corners of the blade will kill any contours. i think the best solution will be wire brush with facemask.

im black and converting anything tan to black now. black and grey sounds cool. headliner will be last. the truckbed liner you get in a spray can is interesting. it's very light in texture and heft. doesn't cover great tho so work out imperfections first if you go that way. other guys did chalkboard.

as for offroad noise? IMO, going from fabric to painted isn't going to make any noticeable difference. anyway consider sticking fiberglass/foil or lizard skin on bare spots of ceiling and that'll help with heat and noise.

if you're not done already. regardless share your pics.

i used that fiberglass under the new floor panels. i'm going to use it for the ceiling.

Attached Thumbnails Headliner Replacement Cost?-337.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you do it yourself of have someone else do it, make sure they overlap the front edge by an inch or two. I have seen a couple replaced that after a few years of the windshield defroster blowing on it the headliner started dropping again.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you do it yourself of have someone else do it, make sure they overlap the front edge by an inch or two. I have seen a couple replaced that after a few years of the windshield defroster blowing on it the headliner started dropping again.

good one. i see that happening. thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a Land Rover, the best price I found was $68 for everything you'll need if you got it from the Headliner Fix website. It would take you about an hour in all to remove the headliner, clean it, paste the new headliner fabric and reinstall, which, is not half bad considering the price.
The best part about it is that the black carbon fabric puts my land rover in a style league of its own. Not a soul enters my car without touching it and going wow, that's awesome. Here's a pic example from their website, looks a lot sleeker in real life:

Last edited by ryanouzer; 09-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headliner

I paid $450 about 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In North Jersey, I got a quote for $500. If I drop it myself and bring it in, $250. Mine isn't sagging yet, but thought I'd plan ahead.

That carbon-fiber look is nice!