Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELLLPPP!! ECU issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELLLPPP!! ECU issue

Ok, first off thank you for looking. Hopefully someone here will have the knowledge I am looking for. My ECU is shorted in the HO2 sensor cct so I run in open loop ALL THE TIME and throw P0134 error code ALL THE TiME with SES on ALL THE TIME. I am trying to fix, the best way to do that (I think) is to replace the ECU / BCU ? I have trouble shot the harness (would have been easier) and it is good. Wires all checked out (no shorts) except when connected to the ECU. So I believe that is the tell tale that the cct in the computer is shorted. Verified on the parts truck... the same cct shows open.

OR can I just replace the ECU? If I do replace the dealership was NO help... $1075.58 plus reprogramming ($130.00 min) and they don't think it will work. So no way am I giving them $1200.00+ to fix this. But I do have a spare truck with a good ECU / BCU and I am willing to spend some funds on a Diagnostic tool that will reprogram the computer.

Is any of this possible? If so how and what tool do I need to reprogram to match the VIN and milage? I am looking at Nanocom, but not certain that will be the right one.

Pls help if you can... especially looking for someone that has done this already. Thank you in advance.

Cheers!!

Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

If you are sure the BCU and ECU are good from the parts truck, why not swap in the ECU,BCU, and gauge cluster to test your theory?

I have an Autologic, and I have taken other ECUs from different trucks and programmed them to mate up with the vehicle. It takes 2 seconds to program. I even used a 4.0 ECU on a 4.6 vehicle. I think the only thing that limits the compatibility is SAI and non SAI.

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you Abran, I will go ahead and swap the entire suite (ECU, BCU, and Cluster) to see if that clears my issue.

Also, I still would like to know if I can reset / reprogram the ECU with one of these diagnostic tools - Nanocom or Hawkeye

If you have had any experience with ECU swaps or resetting I would appreciate any guidance.

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

Maybe a small thing to you, but does the donor truck have significantly more or fewer miles on it than on the truck you're trying to fix? You'll end up showing the odometer miles from the donor.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mln01
Maybe a small thing to you, but does the donor truck have significantly more or fewer miles on it than on the truck you're trying to fix? You'll end up showing the odometer miles from the donor.
I have not thought that far ahead... Good point though. So does this mean you've done a swap before? Do you have experience with doing this? Appreciate any help on how to make this work

Thanks

Last edited by clint70; 10-23-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Camel Trophy

No, I've never done it, but based on what I've read it should be plug and play (fingers crossed). Just be sure the battery is disconnected before you start.

The mileage is stored in both the cluster and the ECU. If you swap only one of the two you end up with whatever the higher mileage was on either unit. If you swap both you'll end up with whatever mileage the donor truck had.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling

So - super excited... the new nanocom is here I have activated it and quickly connected it to the truck, made a couple of changes to the ECU settings to see if it works, yup!! So now take some time in a few days to pull the ECU from the parts truck along with change the O2 sensors and security flash... boom! My fault code P0134 should be gone.

I'll follow up with the final word once done, wish me luck Thanks for all the help/advice.

Cheers!!

Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Good luck, let us know how it goes. If it fixes it, you might open up the old computer to see if you can tell what was wrong with it. It think it takes just normal torx bits. I've had a couple open because they were acting up, and they both looked like they had gotten wet, either from the windscreen or sunroof. If your's looks the same, you might want to trouble shoot a water leak or at least put some dielectric grease in the connectors, maybe?

The following users liked this post:
clint70 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Rock Crawling

So, everyone thank you for the advice and assistance! Just to follow up, the ECU has been successfully swapped and truck has been driving around Still have my O2 issue... however I am confident that the shorted computer also took the sensor with it. I know that they are sensitive, so I'll head out and grab one tonight / tomorrow.

But just to verify - nanocom CAN do the security learn and the ECU swapped no problem. steps:

1. swap ECU (disconnect battery)
2. go into the nanocom and under 'motronic' - 'utility' - 'security learn' SET
3. power off, cycle the power on the truck...
4. should start up right away.

AND done!

Attached Thumbnails HELLLPPP!!  ECU issue-file-2015-11-13-5-33-50-pm.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by clint70:
jafir (11-14-2015), toofaroffroad (11-26-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Camel Trophy

What mileage shows on the odometer now, compared to what was shown previously?

Quick Reply: HELLLPPP!! ECU issue