Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help.

Hi, I have a land rover discovery 2 2003 and when I am driving sometimes the car will shoot up the rpms very high and slow me down and not let it go over 30 and I park and put it in drive again and it fixes it, what could be the problem? Also my 4wd lo won't let me shift into it, it just gets stuck in neutral and I can't push it into Lo.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

How many miles? Does it seem like the Trans is slipping when it does this? Has the Trans filter or fluid ever been changed?

Lubed the living daylights out of both ends of your hi-lo cable, with WD40, let it soak, lube again, let it soak. Then, the vehicle has to be rolling slightly, about five miles an hour, trans in neutral, while pushing gentle forward to get into low. DO NOT FORCE IT...you will be very, very unhappy if you bend or break the cable ends. Replacing the cable is not fun.

Brian.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:57 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by The Deputy
How many miles? Does it seem like the Trans is slipping when it does this? Has the Trans filter or fluid ever been changed?

Lubed the living daylights out of both ends of your hi-lo cable, with WD40, let it soak, lube again, let it soak. Then, the vehicle has to be rolling slightly, about five miles an hour, trans in neutral, while pushing gentle forward to get into low. DO NOT FORCE IT...you will be very, very unhappy if you bend or break the cable ends. Replacing the cable is not fun.

Brian.
the guy who I bought it from did not tell me much so I don't know if the filter or fluid has been changed so I definitely will change it but when the rpms shoot up and that thing happens it doesn't jerk or move or anything, so I don't know if it's slipping or just another small problem.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Any dash/warning lights come on? When you first turn the key to position 2, are all the warning lights present on the dash?

im wondering if it’s not going into limp mode where the trans defaults to 3rd gear.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by landroverdude
Hi, I have a land rover discovery 2 2003 and when I am driving sometimes the car will shoot up the rpms very high and slow me down and not let it go over 30 and I park and put it in drive again and it fixes it, what could be the problem? Also my 4wd lo won't let me shift into it, it just gets stuck in neutral and I can't push it into Lo.

first thing I would suggest is checking the transmission fluid level. The ZF units in our Discos are fairly robust. That said, it does need proper fluid to operate correctly.

While on a flat surface With the engine running (at temperature - temp gauge needle in the center of the gauge) crawl underneath and remove the trans “fill” plug if Zero fluid trickles out of the fill cavity - it’s low. Add the proper fluid until it begins to trickle out.

After filling w/ fluid: Replace cavity fill plug, and Shift through the gears, starting in 1st, every 2-3 seconds shift to the next gear. This will promote fluid dispersement throughout the trans. After completing the procedure remove fill plug and re-check fluid levels. If zero fluid trickles out, repeat the process above until it does.

Other issues you you could be looking at are most likely Torque Converer related or burnt clutches...

Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

While on a flat surface With the engine running......

Shift through the gears, starting in 1st, every 2-3 seconds shift to the next gear. This will promote fluid dispersement throughout the trans.
From a LR Trans Manual,
Most service station attendants (where they still exist) and owners have learned to check the fluid
level hot - which is INCORRECT for a ZF unit. Level must always be checked cold.
Checking the level hot will make the transmission appear to be overfilled when in fact it is at the
correct level. Underfilling is similar to overfilling - fluid foaming and pump cavitation normally
result.
Shifting through the gears also needs to done when level is first checked to get an accurate level indication. After shutdown fluid from the TC drains back into the pan. Until the shift routine is done fluid level may indicate higher than normal.

Fill/check of fluid level should be done when cold/cool.

Last edited by number9; 02-18-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Well **** now I have a bigger problem my rover just did something and broke and it will go in reverse but not go forward it just revs the rpms up, did my transmission just go out?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by landroverdude
Well **** now I have a bigger problem my rover just did something and broke and it will go in reverse but not go forward it just revs the rpms up, did my transmission just go out?
Drain it and see how it looks. Drop the pan and see if there's anything inside. Fluid condition is very helpful in determining what happened.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

when I am driving sometimes the car will shoot up the rpms very high and slow me down and not let it go over 30

Also my 4wd lo won't let me shift into it
im wondering if it’s not going into limp mode where the trans defaults to 3rd gear.
Well **** now I have a bigger problem
You need to answer the questions we ask if you want help.

When do/did the rpms shoot up and at what speed (MPH)? Does this occur when accelerating from a stop or when driving down the road at a steady speed? Does the dash gear position indicate the same as the shift lever position? Do you have access to a code reader?

As abran asked do you see the M & S indicator lights. They should be steady in key position 2 and would flash if in the limp Mode. A bad x,y,z switch can prevent shifting into low range and cause shifting problems that are temporarily cleared my shutting down and restarting.

You do need to at least check/service the trans fluid level as a start.

Your D2 is always in 4WD.

Last edited by number9; 02-18-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
From a LR Trans Manual,Shifting through the gears also needs to done when level is first checked to get an accurate level indication. After shutdown fluid from the TC drains back into the pan. Until the shift routine is done fluid level may indicate higher than normal.

Fill/check of fluid level should be done when cold/cool.
Which means that the engine should be cold when you start it.