Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! 99 DII cranks wont start! NOT crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! 99 DII cranks wont start! NOT crank sensor

i have a disco 2 that this morning drove fine and then just shut off. still cranked fine and did a search and figured it was a crank sensor drove to land rover bought the sensor and then installed it. truck cranked over but wont start so i sprayed it will carb cleaner and itll run! so now im thinking its the fuel pump? i checked fuel pump relay and fuse and they are good.

problem is when i do a search no one has had to do there fuel pump so im wondering if im missing something?

any ideas would be great

TIA

Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

whats your mileage? are throwing any codes?

Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Our pumps can fail, not often but they do and if you are sure the new sensor you installed is good then you may be looking at a pump.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had the same thing happen to me and it was a relay. Idk which one because I gave up after the sensor didnt work and took it to a mechanic. It was an 20 dollar relay that I picked up at a BMW dealer. Might want to check that first before you go buying expensive fuel pumps.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
whats your mileage? are throwing any codes?

155k NO CODES

relay checked out

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Mudding

Turn the key on and listen and you should hear the fuel pump buzz. Is the scan tool you're using connecting with the computer? Check ALL the fuses. Especially the ones under the dash. I had one blow right in the middle of the intersection and it would do the same thing your's is doing. I have a TSB I'll send you that covers this exact problem if you don't find a bad fuse.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. My pump was good, but I was having a blown fuse. The fuel pump fuse is located in the hood fuse box. Checked the fuel pump relay and it was working ok. Then, to check if the fuel pump was working, I did a jumper wire (a wire with a 10 amps fuse) and disconnected the base of the inertia switch (a round switch located in the hood in the top of the firewall) Here is the picture of it:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_0bJu9ABKrGM/Si...6/P6020109.JPG

Then, one of the wires that is connected to the intertia switch goes directly to the fuel pump. The other connects the fuel pump relay and is the one that brings the current from the relay. Connect one side of the jumper wire to the positive side of the battery and then try to put voltage to the first wire of the connector. Then, go to the back of your truck and you must hear your fuel pump working. You must be very close to the tank and everything must be quiet. The sound may be hard to hear. If you can not hear it, try putting voltage to the other wire of base of the inertia switch connector. If you can not hear it, then the fuel pump is bad.

Also, another problem that you may have is that a fuel oxygen may be in short and is blowing the fuel pump fuse (that was the problem I had). This happens because both oxygen sensors are connected to the same relay that sends current to the fuel pump. Then, if any oxygen sensor is in short circuit, it will blow the fuel pump fuse.

In my case, one of the wires of the oxygen sensors was peeled and was in short with the engine block. I only moved the wire, put a bit of electric tape and problem solved.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by johnkbl; 04-29-2010 at 02:45 PM.