Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! ball joint screw up....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! ball joint screw up....

ok, so i had a biz-nach of a time removing the lower ball joint...even with the ball joint press. At some point when wacking away at all of it, I it the housing for the upper ball joint and knocked it out of round. I'm having a heck of a time now trying to get the upp ball joint back in. I'm afraid i'm going to break the housing on the axle which then i'm screwed.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this ball joint back in with out causing any more damage to anything? I"m DESPERATE.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-07-2020, 04:23 PM
4wd High
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious what ended up happening here?

I had a similar issue with my upper ear and carefully worked it back to round with the help of some strategic hammer work, minimal filing, and the old ball joint. Then was surgical installing the new one perfectly square. Crisis averted.

I strongly recommend anyone doing this to drain diff fluid and disconnect trac bar at axle. Then ratchet strap axle toward the side you’re working on and keep that side articulated down to give you maximum clearance for your ball joint press from coil spring

Old 03-08-2020, 12:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember doing my first ball joints on the D2.... probably the worst axle to learn on. I don't know what it is but they're so freakin hard... If you haven't gotten the shape back yet.... use a paint pen on the new ball joint and figure out where the housing is too small with paint transfer. Then use a some kind of spinning power tool to take off excessive material(they make sand paper grinder things that are for expanding holes). At this point, the ball joint might not have enough friction to hold itself. Using green lock tite on install will help make sure that it doesnt come loose without a press. Wish you the best of luck.