Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing lower ball joints

I am going to have to replace the lower ball joints soon and would like to know if I am going to need any special tools, one of them being a spring compressor. I would also like to hear of any tips and what brand of ball joints to use, thanks.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

You need a big hammer.

And this: Ball Joint Service Kit for 2WD and 4WD Vehicles

and maybe this: Master Ball Joint Adapter Set - 14 Piece

take the rotor and caliper off. take the nut off the axle, then put the nut back on the axle 5 or 6 threads and whack it with the big hammer, the axle should move in a bit. remove 4 15mm bolts that secure hub to knuckle. beat flange of hub with big hammer aiming away from axle tube to loosen hub from knuckle. then work axle the rest of the way out. Remove upper and lower ball joint nuts. beat knuckle off of axle with big hammer. You might have to remove upper ball joint to replace bottom ball joint as screw from tool sometimes has to pass through upper ball joint hole. resist the temptation to hit the ball joint with the big hammer, the first time you hit it will mushroom the top and it wont come out. Do not use a torch on the axle unless you have drilled a hole clear into the ball joint to the rotating part. Quick story... I almost killed myself and another guy trying to get a ball joint out of p38, the idiot whacked the ball joint with a hammer and mushroomed the end, he was heating the axle with a torch so I figured he had drilled a hole in it already. So while I'm holding the torch on the axle he's tightening the ball joint tool on the back, Then the ball and threaded part blew out of the housing like a F'ing cannon missed my "package" by 6", deafened me and him for like 5 mins, made me taste that weird metallic taste that happens when you skirt definite death, put a dent in the 1/8" steel lift, scared the ish out of everyone in the dealership, and pissed my boss off.
Have Fun!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Many auto parts stores loan the ball joint removal tools.
I'd really do all 4 at the same time. No point in having to do the job again in 6 months or a year.
If you're hitting the threaded end of something with a hammer always screw a nut on it so it won't mushroom.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys and yes I will probably replace both upper and lower ball joints.