Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, DI Door latch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Exclamation Help, DI Door latch adjustment

I have an odd issue, I can only open the drivers door if I pull up on the door lock tab and then pull the door lever.

The door latch on the driver's side of my DI is not opening properly. Neither the outside or inside door lever will release the door lock. If I pull up on the lock ****, ever so slightly and then pull the door lever it will release the door latch. How does one adjust the lock/release mechanism. I spent the better part of the day trying to figure it out but no luck. It appears that the door pull is connected to a 4-sided star type part that rotates back and forth and lifts a catch the releases the door latch. The catch just need to move up just a bit more. Frankly, not the easiest procedure to describe, as you can tell. Any ideas? Thanks Phil

99 DI
01 DII

Old 11-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same thing happen on my D1 to both front doors. As I recall, the rod for the door lock was threaded at the bottom (by the latch) so I disconnected it from the lock tab and turned it (I forget which way) and got it to work again. But you're on borrowed time... I had to replace the door latch after 6 months because I couldn't adjust it anymore. It got to the point where one day it wouldn't open. Not much fun tearing everything apart when the door is stuck close.

Eric

Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

so you must have twin 17 year old boys too. One of them was trying to get in and was pulling on the outside door handle and the other one was inside and was trying to push the door lock **** down..........kids. I tried adjusting the rod, no luck. I'll get back at it this weekend. It seems like the lever connected to the door lock latch is the problem, it is like it got bent slightly up, and therefore isn't releasing without pulling up on the door ****. Phil

Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same. Started with the drivers door and then went to the one behind in. I currently have both trim panels off. I think the door lock/keyhole on the drivers door is probably just worn out but I tried some of the adjustments and it has been a bit better.

On the back door it often wouldn't open from the outside using the handle. I seem to have cured it for now but when I tried adjusting the rod from the inner handle to the lock it just completely snapped.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
so you must have twin 17 year old boys too. One of them was trying to get in and was pulling on the outside door handle and the other one was inside and was trying to push the door lock **** down..........kids. I tried adjusting the rod, no luck. I'll get back at it this weekend. It seems like the lever connected to the door lock latch is the problem, it is like it got bent slightly up, and therefore isn't releasing without pulling up on the door ****. Phil
No, when I bought mine, neither of the front doors would open at all. Had to go in the back door and climb across the seat!! Replacing the door latch isn't too bad... just time consuming. (especially when you have to remove the panel with the door still closed!) Just do one at a time so in case you forget how the linkage goes, you can use the other one for reference.

Eric