General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door latch problems+ Lost Door Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door latch problems+ Lost Door Key

my driver side door will unlock and lock regularly but when you pull the handle to get in or out the lock latch will slide down slightly so it will be locked to get in you have to use the key and hold it to the right while pulling the handle to get out you have to hold the lock latch up while you pull the handle but the bad thing is i have lost my key to open the drivers door so i have to leave it unlocked all the time and to get in i have to open the rear passenger door and hold the latch up while i pull the outside handle its quite annoying any answers to how i can fix this and also how i can obtain a replacement key or some kind of related solution.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I had lock issues on my 01 Discovery II. I had no alarm key and had to obviously manually open the door to get in.
I was amazed to find the new remote key after dealer programming would not open all of my doors.
Turns out I had a bad tailgate lock actuator, front passenger lock actuator and a bad driver's side lock actuator. Replaced them all myself (kind of a pain but with the RAVE cd and some patience...
Now I have heard that if the Driver's door lock actuator goes bad, it could create issues for the entire alarm/locking system on the truck. Something to look into.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh yeah...don't buy a replacement key used on ebay... new is fine. You need the 17 digit bar code number for programming. Unless something has changed since last year.
Just a heads up. I tried the used one for $40.00, never could get it programmed and had to buy the new one for $120.(EBAY)

Old 04-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The originator is talking about a Disco I if it's a 96 SE as his name infers, even though he does not actually identify the vehicle in his write-up.

The respondent is answering pertaining to a Disco II of a much newer vintage and I think significantly different alarm and key systems. The disco I key does not have any 17 digit bar code programmable key.

Don't go on wild goose chase Disco I owner.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the lack of info in the write up yes it is on a 96 discovery SE7 series 1 obviously. i have been reading and heard its the spring that holds the lock up when unlocked and down when locked but i only have problems opening the door from both inside and outside the lock latch slides down slightly when i pull either handle. so today im going to tear down the door panel and see what i can get done. all my door actuators work because when i unlock the car all the locks including the rear door go up. either with the key or inside the car it doesnt matter.