Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! I have no clue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 06:14 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! I have no clue

02 disco 2 so I just want to start from the beginning of messing with it. I had to replace my transmission cooler lost about a cup of transmission fluid. Friend said with losing that much I should be ok without filling it. Been driving it for a week now have felt no slippage or anything to that nature been driving smoothly except for the past few days my battery has been going bad. I’ll have to get jumped and it’ll be ok then randomly or in the mornings I’ll have to get jumped again (have to wait til I get paid to get a battery) well I got jumped off today for maybe 2 mins then drove it from work got half way there which is 15 mins and then it went into limp mode my TC light was blinking,M S light was blinking, and the truck going down hill light was blinking. At first it would only go like 5 miles an hour so I pulled in the median and notice also by the shifter the D was flashing. I turned it off figuring I could just turn it off and back on to get it out of limp mode then it wouldn’t crank. Well my wife came and jumped me off we sat for a few extra minutes and when I cranked it those lights stopped flashing so I figured it was out of limp mode put it in drive and it wasn’t blinking either but NOW it won’t drive. On the gauges it shows when I go into gear but it will not drive or reverse or even go in low and now I’m stumped. Could I still be in limp mode and the battery is just so low it won’t go? Could I be out of fluid ? Could it be the linkage? What can I do? I love my disco but DAYYYYYUM always something lol

Old 02-23-2022, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

I'd start with a fresh battery before doing anything else. Mebbe borrow one from a buddy if need be. See what that does before freaking out. A cup of fluid won't matter at all, I just wouldn't tow anything any time soon...

Old 02-23-2022, 06:49 PM
4wd Low

How would I know if it’s the linkage or not? I mean my gear shifter moves smoothly if that matters or not? But I will def try the battery just hope it’s not something major because now it’s in a parking lot looking broke and beautiful as all get out

Old 02-23-2022, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, it's easy enough to poke your head under there and eyeball the linkage to see if moving the selector lever is moving the trans input.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:53 PM
4wd Low

Ok one last question this all happened while I was driving in slow traffic. Does it still sound like a low battery issue?or Could a linkage even do that while driving and my shifter isn’t loose in anyway btw

Old 02-23-2022, 09:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Ok then, one last answer. You didn't mention a battery light on the dash so it sounds like you're alternator is ok but it's certainly worth checking as well. Swap in a good battery to get her started and then put a meter on the battery to verify 14+ volts. You also haven't mentioned how old your battery is so that's certainly a consideration. The first step however is getting running, which should rule out any driveiine issues. From there you can investigate the charging circuit because if it's a bad trans that's a whole other trajectory,. Getting it running so you can drive it around to prove that system isn't a culprit is step one in my book. Aside from that, you do have what sounds like a classic low/bad battery situation so keep your cool until you check that out.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 428 Likes on 272 Posts

If you're driving it on frequent short trips, that'll start to drain a Disco battery over several weeks. One of our Discos gets driven like this, and as a result, I end up connecting it to a trickle charger every 3-4 weeks to replenish it. The M&S lights tend to come on whenever the battery is getting low. I'd recommend getting a charger and doing this. It's cheaper than a new battery. A lot of people end up replacing batteries that are simply just in need of a recharge.

Old 02-23-2022, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

Yea I do believe the battery is old or used I bought the disco 6 months ago and as of two weeks ago it was sitting during cold season for a month in half because I was waiting on my transmission cooler to come in the mail (it got lost twice so I had to wait for it to come in the mail) so ok thanks for the advice I will def check the battery tomorrow and if so will change out the battery for a new tomorrow and see where I’m at