Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some feedback/opinions please on my issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some feedback/opinions please on my issue

So I posted back in July about this and don’t think I got anywhere and well it has been doing okay until today but oil changed today, take it to the store I am in store for maybe 30min come back out and my 03 Discovery II HSE7 won’t start its trying but wont well then after 4 attempts it does finally start but then driving home it goes into what I found out is “Limp Mode” I never pulled over to turn off and restart I drove whole way home in limp mode. I get home turn it off and then start it right back up and it starts first time and limp mode isn’t happening anymore. Anyhow this has happened a cpl times before and I would like to figure out the issue before it gets worse. What causes this? And what do you have to do or replace in order to fix it? Also my service engine soon light was on during but once home and I killed then restarted the rover that light also went off along with the limp mode green M and S lights

Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Just a thought but check your battery and connections. I've had issues like what you're describing when my battery was on the way out. Your Rover will run in limp mode if the battery is low, then once recharged it will go back into regular driving mode. Good luck!

Last edited by KernowDiscovery; 10-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Just a thought but check your battery and connections. I've had issues like what you're describing when my battery was on the way out. Your Rover will run in limp mode if the battery is low, then once recharged it will go back into regular driving mode. Good luck!
X1 .......... you also need to read the codes generated by your problem as it can be many things causing 'limp home mode'.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
X1 .......... you also need to read the codes generated by your problem as it can be many things causing 'limp home mode'.
good point Offroad Meldav32, if you don't have a reader and have access to a parts store (Autozone, local auto parts palace, etc.), many of them will loan you one so you can read the code. The port is located on the panel underneath your steering wheel. I'd check the battery first and then go from there. My connection was really loose last year causing it to do all sorts of funky things (windows wouldn't go down, dash lights would go out, wipers wouldn't work, Rover wouldn't start) and it was all due to a loose contact at the battery. I fixed that and a while later had issues like you are having and it was the battery going south. Hopefully it's something easy like that - check it out and let us know, eh?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Default Help again plz

So I’m back again reading replies that I never seen when I posted this 🙄 and back to square one. Okay so I replaced the battery seemed to be better then started my problem again, positive battery cable super loose, coildnt find an actual positive battery cable had to buy a splicer~ doesn’t seem like correct one, holes aren’t big enough for cables but made it work~ now also in the last wk have replaced my starter that I just replaced maybe 6mths ago~ had warranty so all good, still strange to go bad so soon but replaced~ got new better spark plugs~ while driving a 30min drive from home a bit ago it went into limp mode 3x~ meaning acting worse than prior to new starter and plugs~ and also for some reason it starts rough meaning starts but makes a grinding noise almost like ive held the key over too long trying to start but I haven’t? I stop at O’Reilly to get my plug wires have the dude test the alternator and it passes, he does the code reading and pulls codes P1590 P0335 and P0134, first code I researched and could be why my brake light is on? Need to replace brakes, 2nd code is CPS, I just replaced this maybe 6mths ago! Can it be possible that I have recvd 2 lemon parts? Starter and CPS? 3rd code I hvent researched yet. I just really would like to figure out what the deal is, or could a bad connect cause these codes to come up in error? Cause the whole limp mode thing I’ve read about replacing XYZ Switch, is there a way to tell that switch is even bad before I go spend the money on one? Also before it goes into limp mode it kicks super hard and like misses I guess is the word, jumps rpms and sometimes itll do that (kick hard) a cpl times and the m & s lights never come on but 90% of the Time they do, I’ll pull one over cut it off, restart it and cont driving. Anyone? Help? Lol

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Meldav- take a look at this kit from AB. Might solve your problem.
Discovery II Battery Terminal Repair Kit, Positive - YSB108490KIT

Can the machine at O'Reilly clear your codes as well as read them?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:58 AM
Mudding

Okay thank you
I will look and yes they can clear them off as well as read them, just I’ve never really trusted their readers yet don’t wanna pay a dealership $100 just to run the diagnostics test either.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Default Update

So I got it running good again, service engine soon light is on and red brake light also I feel like maybe just whole freaking electrical is messed up maybe, my red oil symbol light will illuminate sometimes while I press the brake, only when pressing the brake thou, hit gas and it’s goes away anyhow real reason I’m here is bc I read and replied on some keyless remote threads but they are years old and I doubt anyone will respond back. But I bought a remote~ flip key remote and now I’m finding out it’s not something I can do on my own? In my Nissan Titan it’s simple but I should’ve known better, ever since having This LR it’s been nothing but more money and more time and nothing and I mean nothing has ever came simple with it lol :-/

Old 02-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Every time you hit the brake pedal, the light flashes or when you are holding the brake down when stopped? If the oil light is coming on at stopped/idle, that means you have low oil pressure -- when you give it gas, the pressure increases and the light goes away.

Sounds like you have a few separate issues that need to be taken care of, i don't think they are related to each other.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (02-16-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Every time you hit the brake pedal, the light flashes or when you are holding the brake down when stopped? If the oil light is coming on at stopped/idle, that means you have low oil pressure -- when you give it gas, the pressure increases and the light goes away.

Sounds like you have a few separate issues that need to be taken care of, i don't think they are related to each other.
stopped/idled :/ but I will say after doing all the work I’ve done so far it’s not coming on as much but that would make perfect sense what you’re saying, how would I fix that? Low Oil pressure issue.

Quick Reply: Need some feedback/opinions please on my issue