Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP--Locking issue, probably superlocking; can't override it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HELP--Locking issue, probably superlocking; can't override it!

Please need help ASAP. Here is problem, and what caused it: 2004 Land Rover Discovery II , which has always used standard key for locking/starting, etc., as I have always used in the past (no electronic key fob, as I never had electronic key fob, since I bought Rover years ago)-- I just received firmware update for my Hawkeye diagnostic unit for LR, so I downloaded it into computer, linked to my Hawkeye, which in turn was linked to Rover, same as I have done numerous times before for previous firmware updates. Following that, I programmed it into the Hawkeye/Rover, but this time I think that I must have, in error, done something to the programming on security menu, because when I locked up the Rover, it seems permanently on security lock, with red dash light blinking. I can open door with key, but when trying to use key to start it, it won't turn over, red light blinks steadily. When I hook up Hawkeye, I can get into all menus except the security menu. So, bottom line, how can I get past the security superlocking; shut off that, to start the vehicle?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How about a fault code, sounds like you are locked out, maybe a 1668 open circuit code.
The super lock only applies to the door locks and is engaged with the key or remote by double clicking, locking the doors, at which point no one gets in with out a key or fob.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

plug your hawkeye back in and go into superlock mode see if you can activate it and deactivate it with the hawkeye

Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You may want to connect up to the system to charge it.
You can ground the battery charger to the frame.
if you can locate the wire to the starter, just put a needle into the red wire.
Connect the charger to the needle.
Let it charge for a day.
Then you may be able to use the remote to unlock the superlock.

Try both remotes.
If you only have one remote - replace the battery.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Discomike/Drowssap/jfall, Thanks so much for the response. I haven't been able to respond, because I don't have internet access unless I walk 6 miles one way, which I just did. Here is an update; I would appreciate any more help anyone would care to offer.:
Yes, Mike, of course, you are right, the super-locking is limited to door locking, which I now know (I did not know earlier), so that isn't the problem. The problem is that the security system is permanently on, red dash light constantly blinking, can't shut it off with the key in passenger door, as have been able to do in the past; so whenever I use door key to unlock door and open door, it activates the alarm, but not the audio portion of the alarm--no horn, no sounder, only blinking turning indicators and S M green transmission lights on dash, and when I try to turn over engine with key in ignition, the engine is unable to turn over. Hawkeye can go into engine management, transmission, brakes, etc. but not into the security, BCUnit, because it is constantly on, activated alarm system. I have tried everything mentioned on this website, and more, but nothing works to shut off alarm system. Here is only thought I am left with: What if I buy another BCU from wrecking yard, for 2004, install it, go into BCU with Hawkeye, to get it set up to function with my vehicle, WILL THAT SOLVE THE PROBLEM? This vehicle has no key fob, no electronic key, it never did. I have only the mechanical key for the door and ignition. Please what can I do to get transportation again? I fully charged the battery, several times, actually, after it ran down from my long term efforts to solve the problem, so run down battery is not causing the problem.

Last edited by earlyrover; 08-03-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add detail
Old 08-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I would get a matching BECM, ECU, and gauge cluster. Also if possible with at least one remote coded to it. It should be plug and play then.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

abran, Thanks for the great input. After trying everything imaginable, and many things not imaginable, even calling the dealer (what a scary thought--but they couldn't suggest anything either), my present thinking is exactly as you suggested I do. Thus, I have telephoned several guys in parts of our country where these vehicles seem more common; with many big parts yards for Land Rovers, to explore this idea, and had them tell me same thing, based on their having done this sort of thing in the past. Think that will be my avenue of attack. Thanks all for the help. Should anyone be able to shed more light on what happens if one changes only the BCU, or the BCU and ECU, not the instrument cluster (I think the mileage blinks on and off, right?), and if the Hawkeye can help to program if changing only the BCU. I am all ears, please let me know your thoughts.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Baja

Most knowledgable sellers sell the whole set.

I have swapped in new ECU and synced with my Autologic, but never a BECM.

I'm guessing you would have to accept the mileage of the swapped in BECM as I'm not sure you can change that.

But that is a guess.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update to thread

Originally Posted by abran
Most knowledgable sellers sell the whole set.
I have swapped in new ECU and synced with my Autologic, but never a BECM.
I'm guessing you would have to accept the mileage of the swapped in BECM as I'm not sure you can change that.
But that is a guess.
I received and installed the purchased BCU, and ECU, along with the instrument cluster, and it now works beautifully, without a problem . But, as you say, the mileage differs from my original cluster. Based on this, I am pretty sure that electronically, something happened to my original BCU to make it faulty, unable for the alarm system to be shut down. The dealers must be able to reset mileage, after all, when an instrument cluster speedometer needs replacing, and they install a new one, they must, somehow be able to reset the mileage to what it was before the new set was put into the vehicle. ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, FOR SURE?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Baja

In order to combat fraud, I am pretty sure that the dealer cannot change the mileage.

It is my understanding that the BECM holds the mileage. If you swap in an ECU or a gauge cluster, without syncing to the BECM the odometer will read the higher of the mileages.

So, I believe you are stuck with the mileage of the swapped in BECM.

What mileage did your vehicle used to have? You can search for a set with the closet to that mileage and switch it out again.

Quick Reply: HELP--Locking issue, probably superlocking; can't override it!