Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with my bottom tailight electrical wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008 | 08:34 PM
|
Mudding
Default Help me with my bottom tailight electrical wiring

My passenger side taillight (the bottom one on the bumper) as well as that little side light also on the passenger side are not working. The socket on the taillight was all corroded so I replaced it today as well as new wiring. I hooked it up but still the bulb doesn't work. Then I compared the drivers side(WHICH WORKS) and realized that the wires are red and black while the passenger side is red and black and then it looks like some thick BLUE wire that was put together, but it looks like it was done from the factory, not something someone messed with. What do I do? Also, can that be affecting the side little light as well, b/c its NOT the bulb that's the problem. TIA (the last pic is the drivers side which is all good)

Old 12-24-2008 | 05:20 PM
TReK
Default RE: Help me with my bottom tailight electrical wiring

Those blue wires looked like they were spliced on to the original wires to make them longer. I'm guessing this is not the first time there has been a problem with those lights. I would just remove those blue wires and connect the wire from the new socket directly to the original red and black. I don't know how familiar you are with wiring but red is your positive and black negative or ground. Those blue wires are definitely not factory splices.

As for the side light, how do you know the bulb is not the problem? Once you get the bumper light working check and see if the side marker light is working. If they are on the same circuit it could be an open circuit meaning that no power is getting to that marker light.

Let us know what you find and we'll try to help you more if that doesn't solve it.

Old 12-24-2008 | 05:46 PM
|
Mudding

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

Those blue wires looked like they were spliced on to the original wires to make them longer. I'm guessing this is not the first time there has been a problem with those lights. I would just remove those blue wires and connect the wire from the new socket directly to the original red and black. I don't know how familiar you are with wiring but red is your positive and black negative or ground. Those blue wires are definitely not factory splices.
Ok, so ill remove the blue wires and connect the NEW wires from the NEW socket to the Red and Black wire, however, the new wires are one color, how do I know if its positive or negative from the NEW wires, just connect the Red and Black wires to either one of the NEW wires, right?

Old 12-24-2008 | 06:00 PM
TReK

The scientific way to do it would be to use a multimeter to check for continuity. Remove the bulb from the socket and touch one lead to the center, bottom of the socket and the other end to each wire until you find continuity (most multimeters beep to signal continuity). That would be your positive (red) and the other the black. That style bulb uses a signal contact in the bottom of the socket as positive (red) and the sidewalls are the negative (black).

The less scientific method if you don't have a multimeter is to loosely connect the wires from the socket to the red and black wires and check to see if it works. Just twist the ends together and put a little electrical tape to keep them from shorting when you test. If they don't work one way switch the wires around and try again. Just make sure the red and black don't touch while the lights are on or you'll be replacing the fuse also.

Old 12-24-2008 | 06:26 PM
|
Mudding

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

The less scientific method if you don't have a multimeter is to loosely connect the wires from the socket to the red and black wires and check to see if it works. Just twist the ends together and put a little electrical tape to keep them from shorting when you test. If they don't work one way switch the wires around and try again. Just make sure the red and black don't touch while the lights are on or you'll be replacing the fuse also.
Ok, so either way, I should remove the BLUE wires and when you say "loosely connect the wires from the socket, you mean the (2) Yellow NEW wires I have pictures to the red and black wires? Thats what ive been trying to do, but over the blue wires, Im going to cut off the blue wires and go from there

Old 12-24-2008 | 07:11 PM
|
Mudding

Ok, so I tired everything. I cut the blue wires off and went straight from the black and red wires. Connected them to the new YELLOW wires and still nothing. As if its totally dead and the reason I know the side light is not working is b/c I tried the bulb the drivers side and its still dead while the bulb from the drivers side works on the drivers side. It seems like everything is dead on the passenger side except the big tail light and the bottom turn signal. Any ideas, whats the next step?

Old 12-24-2008 | 07:56 PM
TReK

I'm pretty much out of ideas. Maybe someone else will chime in with ideas. The only thing I can think to do is trace the wires as far as you can and make sure the wires are all connected where they should be. More than likely the wires from the bumper go into the vehicle and connect to the other lights behind the panel panel in the cargo area. If I were home near my Rover I would look at mine and get some more ideas on how to fix it. If you still haven't fixed it by Sunday afternoon when I get home let me know and I'll look at mine and see what I come up with.

Those blue wires were definitely not factory but they shouldn't effect whether it worked or not as they obviously aren't. How long have the lights not worked? Have they ever worked since you've owned it? Is it a D1 or D2? I am assuming a D1 from the pictures but figured I would ask.

Old 12-25-2008 | 10:13 AM
|
Mudding

are those the same wires that control the big tail light on top? If so, how do I get there?

Old 12-26-2008 | 05:50 AM
TReK

In the side pocket of the cargo area, where the seats fold into if you have a 7-seater, there is a panel you can remove to access the back of the tail light. Or you can remove the tail light assembly from the outside. Not being able to look at my truck or repair manual I really don't know where those wires come from before they go to the bumper lights but I am guessing they are somehow tied to the tail lights in the body.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.