Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. is my disco II dying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. is my disco II dying?

Hello...too many issues to list. But need opinions on a few.
First: when heat is on, very cold air blows from dash vents. Is this the control, or perhaps a fan issue. The heater core does sound pretty toasted too, as water sloshes around in it and occasionally leaks. Can this casue cold air to blow?
Second: Cruise control wont hold speed. Basically doesn't work. Any thoughts or options here?
ALso need head gasket redone, also have leaking rear hub.....arrrrgggghhh. Is my boy blue gonna make it? The strenght of my love is being tested! 6 years (only 86Kmiles) together and is this how it must end?

kkrover
99 Disco II named Blue

Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Help. is my disco II dying?

If those are your problems, you are lucky! Seriously though, the heater core issue, wow that is a pain to replace, but it sounds like it is messed up. You mentioned your head gaskets leaking. Did you ever overheat the vehicle because if you did that would cause those problems to surface.

The leaking rear hub, while also annoying, is not a special problem--its common on the Land Rovers. Just get a hub reseal kit, or pay someone who knows what they are doing to do it. No big deal. Like all LR problems, the worst part is paying to get the job done, but none of the jobs are impossible for the home mechanic.

Your cruise control is nothing likely. The vacuum lines are probably cracked, and when they bend and allow air in, the CC will shut off. If you dont know what a vacuum line is, its like 1/4" rubber hose, one hooks onto the brake pedal and goes through the firewall to the engine bay, where it meets a T connecter, from year one hose goes to the front of the truck where the vacuum pump is at, the other to the throttle body. Buy like 20 feet of hose at any auto parts store, cut it to length, and put it on where the old hose is from. This will fix about 99% of all cruise control issues.

Bottomline, your Rover is not about to die, you just need to give it some love and get some parts for her. I have a 97 with more issues (brake calipre sticking, driveshaft rotoflex shot, u-joints slamming, and electrical gremlins) that is much worse off than yours!

Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Winching
Default RE: Help. is my disco II dying?

To the owner of Blue, You will get better answers if you post one topic per thread. Hub reseal kits do not pertain to DII's.