Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with new stereo

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Help with new stereo

I gave up after reading through 13 threads and not finding the solution, so if it exists in this forum, I apologize for any redundancy. So my 6-disk CD changer just died and I want an in dash option that's easy to install and will power the factory speakers. I don't think it's the premium (Harmon Cardon) set-up...no sign on the speaker grilles but there is a sub in the tailgate. It's an 04 SE7.

So, what is the best (easiest & cheapest) option to install a single-din in dash CD player. Only features I need are a way to hook up my iPod nano via USB or 3.5mm aux jack. And I want the steering wheel controls to function properly, which I did find the answer and part # to on another thread.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi, I went through this a few months back. I've never used the CD changer, I was looking for an Aux jack so I could plug in my iPod.

I ended up buying this.

GROM iPod iPhone MP3 Android Auxiliary 3.5mm Car Adapter interface #RVRA1 | eBay

It's an AUX unit that plugs into the back of the stereo and replacing the CD changer. So all you do it press CD option on dash unit and you can run any MP3 player with mini headphone jack. It was ridiculously easy to install. So easy that I laughed at myself for using a stupid cassette adapter for year prior. It's took about 3 minutes to install and works flawlessly.

Before doing this I visited a car audio place. They explained to me that I could install a news dash unit but If I wanted to run all my speakers I'd need 2 amps to power everything. At the end of the day even with a cheap dash unit you'd probably be around $1000 to get everything up and running. you could do a dash unit and run just 2 speakers but that would suck. Or do a new dash unit and install new speakers but still....lots of money.
Remember, i'm in Canada though and everything seems to be more expensive here.

If you did the Grom unit, I can help you through install. I'm planning on posting a short video soon anyway.

Hope this was of some help.

I know other dudes have done elaborate installs with DVD players and GPS etc etc. Maybe they'll chime in and give you some tips.

If you want to keep it simple and still enjoy the premium factory stereo system in the D2, I'd Go with the $60.00 Grom Audio unit and save your money for new O2 sensors or a head gasket job...or fixing your ABS system or replacing your drive shaft or fixing the water leaks in your sun roof or ...well your get the picture.

The following users liked this post:
Crisis In My Nomex (02-01-2017)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Actually I just did this project last saturday. I bought a unit from crutchfield and with it the installation kit which included the Metra adapter 70-1786, the stereo removal tools, the little base plate to cover the space at the bottom, and an adapter for the steering controls.

Whole project took about 2 hours. Get some 18 gauge butt connectors and a crimp tool. Easy Peasy

Old 10-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by zuke
Actually I just did this project last saturday. I bought a unit from crutchfield and with it the installation kit which included the Metra adapter 70-1786, the stereo removal tools, the little base plate to cover the space at the bottom, and an adapter for the steering controls.

Whole project took about 2 hours. Get some 18 gauge butt connectors and a crimp tool. Easy Peasy
grom isn't a bad idea but I need the CD player, so it's only a partial solution.

Zuke, what head unit did you buy?

Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

i put a single din pioneer with a fold out display in, didnt wanna mess with a double din conversion but im happy with my setup

Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I got a JVC unit without the cd player. This was on my daughters truck and she wanted bluetooth and aux for her phone. This had a microphone for making/answering calls through the stereo hooked to the phone. To run the microphone cord i opened the fuse panel cover and ran the plug end up to the stereo hole then mounted the little microphone on top of the steering column shroud. The unit was only about $120 but it sounds great and is plenty loud for me.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Is there an option to install a new cd changer under the seat that will work with the factory wiring (via splicing or adaptor)?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:54 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

CD is old tech and not much supported any longer. I doubt if you can find a new replacement for the under seat CD transport. Your best bet on that would be a working used unit.

I bought a Kenwood 1 DIN head unit with CD player, HD Radio, and also a USB slot so any phone will plug into the usb port as well as thumb drives with music on them. The USB port also charges phones while plugged in and can play content on the phone through the speakers.

If you are interested in the radio working be sure to ground the chassis of the head unit.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan7
Is there an option to install a new cd changer under the seat that will work with the factory wiring (via splicing or adaptor)?
If you want I will sell you mine for not much money. It has been disconnected for probably three or four years since I got my GROM but it worked fine when I last used it. PM me if you are interested. If your truck has the wiring, and it should, it would be plug-and-play.