Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Runnig Rough Sluggish -- CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Rough Idle, Vac hose???

ORIGINAL: JPC97DiscoSD

Ya i will def keep this thread updated because after searching all i see are problem threads that never tell how they fixed there problem. [sm=smiley20.gif]
10-4..............I've noticed this also.............definately defeats the purpose of a repair forum.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Drifting

Cliff notes: Cleared the CEL - no return id a Compression test - Low compression on cyl 4.
I don't have the compression numbers off hand, but cyl 4 was significantly lower than the other cyls.

Ok Disco Mike, thanks for the advise over the phone, before I go about repairing the cracked exhaust manifold you suggested (cyls 2 4 6 8 manifold) I figured since I am fortunate enough to have a Euro garage down the street,it wouldn't hurt to get a visual opinion of what the problem is on my truck.

So......After messing around for a while and not making any progress, I took my truck to the independent Euro mechanics so they can have a quick look over and give me their opinion, thank God they are around the corner from me minutes away and I was able to drive there. So I gave it a shot, the compression test cost me a few bucks even though I could have done it myself. In a sense I am glad I am getting to the bottom of this.

So the next day, I get a call and they ran a compression test which revealed low compression on Cyl. 4. So I have an internal problem now. The truck runs and drives, it is just really sluggish at around 2 - 3.5 rpms. This problem seems to have happened overnight and I am thinking the problem is in the heads, maybe stuck valves. I don't want to know what it looks like under there, maybe the previous owner ran 87 octane, and it was just a matter of time before the damage was done.

Is there any way I can clean the valves with an additive or something before I start digging deep into the engine and my pockets, should I change the oil and add some compression booster or some kind of engine treatment. I ran a can of seafoam thrrough the intake, should I do a can in the crankcase? Let me know what you guys think. I do have a crack on my exhaust manifold by cyl.4 - would that cause the problem, when it is running slugging it backfires through the intake and pops? It feels like I am running without a spark plug. Although it starts right up smoothly. Thanks for the input in advance.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Drifting

OKI flushed the engine, changed the oil with Castrol Syntec 5W/30 along with aquart ofcompression booster additive to thicken theoiland let the truck run for a bit and I noticed than my CEL came on here are the codes it threw:

P1316
P1204 Pd
P0204 Pd
P1193 Pd

Also, everytime I run the car the problem seems to get worse and worse. I noticed it was puffing out some bright white smoke after I changed the oil and filter. It almost seems like the head gasket has failed, but I don't know, I haven't had any coolantlossissues or signs of leaks, the truck never overheats. There was a white looking filmy residue on the inside ofmy oil capand the used oil had a scent of gasoline in it. Would a bad head gasket cause compression loss and cause the truck to run terrible? I am starting to think my problem is either a bad head gasket(s) or the heads need to be redone, maybe a stuck valve is causing all this... I doubt that the bottom end is the problem, it doesn't burn any oil or anything. It runs beautiful on a cold start and then after 2 mins its all downhill.What should I look for guys?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Drifting

has anyone every had this combo of codes?
P1316
P1204 Pd
P0204 Pd
P1193 Pd

Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling

ANY ONE LOL!??

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Drifting

to the top

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you look up your codes? You can check here: http://www.iequus.com/support/obd2_definitions.php

They all point to a misfire in cylinder 4 due to an open injector circuit. The O2 codemight have gottenthrown in because of the misfire. I'm no good at interpreting these things, but it sounds like you have an electrical problem at that injector. I don't know if the low compression would cause this too....

Old 03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Drifting

So after having this problem for about a month i have only put about $5-10 in gas in the tank never filling it past 1/4 of a tank. So today i put $20 of v-power in and it runs like its old self again pretty much perfect. Could this be my fuel pump? I thought they worked or didn't work? i will change the fuel filter.

Basically the car ran like crap and idled like crap all the way to the gas station and after i put $20 ingas in it ran pretty much perfect. hm......

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Odd. Did you fill with the same type of gas? Maybe you have a lot of sludge built up in the bottom of your tank and you were starving the engine for fuel sucking it in. Make sure you open the filter up and see what is in it.

Also, maybe a problem with the fuel pump pick-up? I'm not sure how it's designed, should be easy to pull out. Check it out.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Drifting

I have only used premium since i had it but, who know what the previous owner was using... I can not rember the last place i filled up. I have been driving it and letting it idle for about 40 min. and its still running good. i am still gonna change the filter i wanna see what in there. it is behind the passenger side tire correct?

Quick Reply: HELP! Runnig Rough Sluggish -- CEL