Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with snow trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help with snow trouble

My 99 D2 was a spinout machine in the winter using pirelli scorpion pzeros (which were terrific on everything BUT ice/snow). Switched to a set of pirelli scorpion ICE&SNOW tires, it's a different car now. night and day. I don't bother switching them in summer/winter, just the ICE&Snow scorpions full-time in the summer as well, they work great and I don't have to mess with the swap. Get maybe 30K miles out of them depending on the snow cycle.

Still, as much as I love my landy, the wife's ML500 accelerates, corners, and brakes far better on ice than the rover ever will. Not sure why, but never the less I dont find the landy to be a forgiving winter driver. Let the rear end get sideway a bit on hard ice, even with good ice/snow tires, and you've got an instant situation on your hands. That's with the ABS working but with the TC likely not (got the 3 amigos too...) Bottom line is a D2 on ice demands your full and complete attention.

________
FREE AMATUER XXX

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was out in the snow and ice today because work was closed down.

i was out just to have fun. i never felt scared of the road. rover felt very planted and sure footed.

i guess its just a matter of the person.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 PM
7th Gear

could anyone recommened me some snow tires to look at? Also, could someone explain what you mean when you

"Also, if you throw it in 1 Low shouldn't need to break at all... unless your about to ram someone of course. The disco does well in the snow once you get it all figured out. "

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

i was out in the snow and ice today because work was closed down.

i was out just to have fun. i never felt scared of the road. rover felt very planted and sure footed.

i guess its just a matter of the person.
sure it's all relative. i should probably slow down a bit regardless of road conditions, and you could probably speed up a bit on ice and be far from falling over the edge. My TC most likely does not function, yours most likely still does. Would prolly come in handy right about when the rear wheels start going sideways!!

The benzo's got much lighter weight, independent suspension, more and smoother power, bigger contact patch, bigger and less spongy brakes, no leaks anywhere and no 3 amigos, and for all that it would be the go to sled if i had to race to the hospital on an icy winter night. hasn't happened yet....

im not knocking the landy, it has a SOUL where the benzo does not, and for that I prefer the landy as the daily driver. I'm sure everyone on this board understands exactly what I mean by that twisted logic. And the snow tires did make a huge difference, quite surefooted with prudent driving at normal winter speeds.

________
Medical Marihuana Dispensory

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:08 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Takeyoubystorm

could anyone recommened me some snow tires to look at? Also, could someone explain what you mean when you

"Also, if you throw it in 1 Low shouldn't need to break at all... unless your about to ram someone of course. The disco does well in the snow once you get it all figured out. "

First, change from high gear to low gear by putting it in Neutral then shifting to the low position (on the shifter with H & L). Next move from neutral to the 1 and the engine will domost of the braking for you.Let me know if that doesnt make sense!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Takeyoubystorm

Bridgestone Blizzak's are by far hands down the best snow and ice tire you can buy.
You cannot run them in the summer time, they will only last one summer if you do.

You go to 1st gear buy moving the gear shifter to "1"...your shift pattern is as follows
"P" park
"R" reverse
"N" neutral
"D" drive (4th gear)
"3" third gear
"2" second gear
"1" first gear also known as low gear

Low gear on the transfer case is nothing that you need to mess with.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Low gear on the transfer case is nothing that you need to mess with.
Depending on the conditions... If you are really having issues at a certain point I wouldn't hesitate to put it in Low gear on the TC. But honestly, Just moving to the 1 should be plently for just going down random hills. Just make sure you know how to shift the transfer case to low, as I explained, and you'll be prepared if you ever do need it.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Drifting

Blizzaks? Maybe for SUVs...

I would say that the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUVmight give the Blizzaks a run for the money.

Also, I think you guys are being WAY too hard on TakeYouByStorm. Nothing can make you look like you've never driven before than having summer tires on ice. Think of them as hockey pucks and you'll get an idea of what kind of traction these tires can have.

Compared to what you have now, you'll be astounded by the change if you buy snow tires regardless of which kind you buy.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have been running Blizzak's for years and I swear by them, but you are right, Wal-Mart hase snow tires for cheap.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Drifting

Okay I have a question, because I seem to be reading some mixed opinions on the whole driving in snow thing lol. So for driving in mid-heavy snow conditions what is recommended - putting the CDL into Hi locked and transmission in "D", or putting the CDL in low locked? If in low should I be in D or 1st gear?? Or is driving in 1st gear without the CDL on enough??

From what I understand even when using the CDL in Hi locked you can still drive the truck up to 60 km/h (or 40 mph). If the vehicle is in low though isn't the maximum speed dramatically reduced? Sorry for the all the questions, I just got the truck in August and haven't used the CDL feature as of yet but we got hit with a NASTY snow storm today in Toronto... I think the tern 'snowmageddon' is fitting to describe it.

Thanks all.

Quick Reply: help with snow trouble