Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with snow trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: help with snow trouble

in low gear you will never be above 25 mph. My truck shifts into 4th gear at around 13 mph in low gear. As for driving in snow, for light snow leave it high unlocked. Medium to heavy snow put it in high locked, tranny in 'D'. Only in the heaviest of snow and probably off road in snow should you need low locked in 'D'. Downshifting the transmission into first gear will use engine braking to slow you down, usually pretty well. This way is usually much better to slow down if you think you might lose traction by using the braking system (and thus locking your brakes or having the ABS kick in and not stopping on time). Did I get everything?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Thanks for clarifying that up! It was all getting a bit confusing lol.

If I downshift into first gear while in Hi locked in won't mess up the CDL or anything right?? Just want to make sure lol.

Oh btw, what are the 'three amigos' that everyone keeps mentioning on here?

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: rwb86

Okay I have a question, because I seem to be reading some mixed opinions on the whole driving in snow thing lol. So for driving in mid-heavy snow conditions what is recommended - putting the CDL into Hi locked and transmission in "D", or putting the CDL in low locked? If in low should I be in D or 1st gear?? Or is driving in 1st gear without the CDL on enough??

From what I understand even when using the CDL in Hi locked you can still drive the truck up to 60 km/h (or 40 mph). If the vehicle is in low though isn't the maximum speed dramatically reduced? Sorry for the all the questions, I just got the truck in August and haven't used the CDL feature as of yet but we got hit with a NASTY snow storm today in Toronto... I think the tern 'snowmageddon' is fitting to describe it.

Thanks all.
You wont know if you dont ask.
All you need to do is put the transmision in "D" and go, if the roads are not plowed the put the transfer cae in Hi Locked.
Adjust your driving to accomidate for the road conditions.

If you put the transfer case in low your top speed will be 40mph and the engine will be turning 4,500 RPM.
If you put the transmission in 1st gear you will top out at 20mph.
Take it to a empty parking lot and experiment with stopping, turning corners and accelerating.
Pratice makes perfect.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:18 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Okay I have a question, because I seem to be reading some mixed opinions on the whole driving in snow thing lol. So for driving in mid-heavy snow conditions what is recommended - putting the CDL into Hi locked and transmission in "D", or putting the CDL in low locked? If in low should I be in D or 1st gear?? Or is driving in 1st gear without the CDL on enough??

From what I understand even when using the CDL in Hi locked you can still drive the truck up to 60 km/h (or 40 mph). If the vehicle is in low though isn't the maximum speed dramatically reduced? Sorry for the all the questions, I just got the truck in August and haven't used the CDL feature as of yet but we got hit with a NASTY snow storm today in Toronto... I think the tern 'snowmageddon' is fitting to describe it.

Thanks all.
You wont know if you dont ask.
All you need to do is put the transmision in "D" and go, if the roads are not plowed the put the transfer cae in Hi Locked.
Adjust your driving to accomidate for the road conditions.

If you put the transfer case in low your top speed will be 40mph and the engine will be turning 4,500 RPM.
If you put the transmission in 1st gear you will top out at 20mph.
Take it to a empty parking lot and experiment with stopping, turning corners and accelerating.
Pratice makes perfect.
or do like i do,,,

blindfold yourself and use the force

Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for clarifying that up! It was all getting a bit confusing lol.

If I downshift into first gear while in Hi locked in won't mess up the CDL or anything right?? Just want to make sure lol.

Oh btw, what are the 'three amigos' that everyone keeps mentioning on here?
Nope shifting into any gear can't really screw anything up. All it's doing is telling the tranny not to go higher than the gear you picked. just keep in mind though, if you're going like 65, don't shift into first, that's a bad thing to do.

And the 3 amigos are basically when your traction control, hill decent, and ABS lights come on at the same time. Too many individual scenarios to list them all, but just post here if it happens to you and some one will help you with it.