Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Traction control inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017 | 09:39 PM
|
Drifting
Default HELP!! Traction control inquiry

Hi guys my name is mr. Tick and I'm fairly new to the forum but I just have two questions regarding my 2003 discovery that I want to beef up and start using it Off Road in the near future maybe when the snow is gone. Im im Massachusetts

One question is does it really hinder the capabilities of the Disco with TC & no CDL as mine is an 03 or is the traction control good enough to go down most trails?

And second after watching some YouTube videos, i'm curious, does this traction control just ever stop working with no warning signs or lights. Like does it randomly sh*t the bed after being dormant from years of constant suburban shopping mall escapades with no use - like the use mine has probably been subjected to. I'm just worried I'll go out with all my Jeep owning friends and get stuck, and get laughed at.

(Some YouTube vids they are bailing out all the stuck lifted Wranglers with a stock disco. some YouTube vids they can't cross a mud puddle)

Old 12-08-2017 | 09:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Depends on the trails you are looking at.
Traction control < center diff lock < axle diff lockers.

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:00 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sandman614
listen I'll be blunt in my state the only legal places you can go is your friend's torn-up backyard or just a s***y, off the GPS map, hundred-year-old Road leading to places where everyone smokes bud and f****. So nothing crazy like rock crawling or river wadding

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mr. Tick
listen I'll be blunt in my state the only legal places you can go is your friend's torn-up backyard or just a s***y, off the GPS map, hundred-year-old Road leading to places where everyone smokes bud and f****. So nothing crazy like rock crawling or river wadding
Sounds like you should be fine with traction control, unless it's super muddy/boggy. It's not hard to check and see if you have the center diff lock and install one if not.

Old 12-08-2017 | 10:08 PM
|
Drifting

Sounds like you should be fine with traction control, unless it's super muddy/boggy. It's not hard to check and see if you have the center diff lock and install one if not.
I know installing a CDL sure would add value to the other end of my investment! Awwwh why didnt i get the 04!

Old 12-08-2017 | 11:17 PM
TReK

I was taking mine out on the trails in Wharton State Forest, NJ, before I installed the CDL. Sand and mud holes were no problem. I did notice a substantial improvement after I added the CDL shifter but I never felt like there were going to be any difficulties before I did that.

Old 12-08-2017 | 11:44 PM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by mollusc
I was taking mine out on the trails in Wharton State Forest, NJ, before I installed the CDL. Sand and mud holes were no problem. I did notice a substantial improvement after I added the CDL shifter but I never felt like there were going to be any difficulties before I did that.
Ah that is some good news, thanks! Do you think neglecting to drive a discovery off road every now and then will evennnntually cause the traction control in the wheels to not work properly?

Old 12-09-2017 | 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah that is some good news, thanks! Do you think neglecting to drive a discovery off road every now and then will evennnntually cause the traction control in the wheels to not work properly?
It's controlled by the abs ECU and brakes so if you have brakes you should have TC.

Old 12-09-2017 | 08:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I know installing a CDL sure would add value to the other end of my investment! Awwwh why didnt i get the 04!
Just pickup a cdl to add to your current T-case. I have one sitting around, I'm sure others do too.

Old 12-09-2017 | 08:11 AM
Camel Trophy

I disagree with that order. I think traction control<center diff lock>=axle lockers

The axle lockers are only really useful if you have CDL because without it, say if you're going up hill there won't be much weight on your front wheels and they can start to spin leaving the rear without power.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Traction control inquiry