Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Traction control inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017 | 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling

The traction control will get you through probably 90% of trails. CDL+traction control will get you through just about anything. CDL makes things significantly less dramatic - less wheelspin. Honestly, it depends on the tires significantly too. If you have sport street tires, no matter if you have cdl or not, you are much more likely to get stuck if you get into some mud or sand. A good set of all-terrains will work wonders.

Traction control will stop working if the 3 amigos are on. If the 3 amigos are on, you will essentially have 1 wheel drive if you get stuck. Should not give you issues as long as you maintenance is up on the braking system. You could add the CDL by changing the front housing of the transfer case and a handle. I'd say it would be worth it.

A friend with a stock JK Rubicon on all-terrains and I went out and did some medium to difficult trails together. My 2" lifted Discovery with CDL + Traction Control on BFG All-Terrain KO2s did everything his Rubicon did with dual axle lockers. Had more trouble with clearance issues in some areas than with traction. The Disco surprised a lot of people.

The following users liked this post:
Speedracer93CobraR (04-29-2021)
Old 12-09-2017 | 09:10 AM
|
Drifting

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
The traction control will get you through probably 90% of trails. CDL+traction control will get you through just about anything. CDL makes things significantly less dramatic - less wheelspin. Honestly, it depends on the tires significantly too. If you have sport street tires, no matter if you have cdl or not, you are much more likely to get stuck if you get into some mud or sand. A good set of all-terrains will work wonders.

Traction control will stop working if the 3 amigos are on. If the 3 amigos are on, you will essentially have 1 wheel drive if you get stuck. Should not give you issues as long as you maintenance is up on the braking system. You could add the CDL by changing the front housing of the transfer case and a handle. I'd say it would be worth it.

A friend with a stock JK Rubicon on all-terrains and I went out and did some medium to difficult trails together. My 2" lifted Discovery with CDL + Traction Control on BFG All-Terrain KO2s did everything his Rubicon did with dual axle lockers. Had more trouble with clearance issues in some areas than with traction. The Disco surprised a lot of people.
Thank you Captain Aaron very informative!

Old 12-09-2017 | 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

If your braking system has any issues, then your TC will have issues. Your 03 case needs to be partially torn down to have the CDL components installed. It would be easier to get a used case with CDL already installed and swap it in. Then you need the linkage/shifter to make it work. (unless you crawl under and reach around the case with a wrench to manipulate the CDL) There's a way to make homemade linkage since they're usually expensive. Or try to find a D1 in a yard; they all have useable linkage/shifter assemblies.
Trail running is fine without CDL, and more aggressive wheeling is possible, but our cases have a differential just like each rear does, and if you over do it, it can fail. There is a solution to this available from Ashcroft, but it's not necessary if you keep your diff locked. If anything brake related fails, you will get lights on the dash and TC will not function right. So, a CDL would be invaluable in this case; so you still have 4WD. Otherwise, the (1)wheel with the least traction will get ALL the power.

Old 12-09-2017 | 10:51 AM
|
Drifting

[QUOTE=wjsj69;628646]If your braking system has any issues, then your TC will have issues.

Thanks! I do leak brake fluid, but only enough for the brake light to come on once every couple of months I just drive around with a can of DOT 4 until I can fix it other than that no lights on the dash.

Old 12-09-2017 | 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Tick
listen I'll be blunt in my state the only legal places you can go is your friend's torn-up backyard or just a s***y, off the GPS map, hundred-year-old Road leading to places where everyone smokes bud and f****. So nothing crazy like rock crawling or river wadding
I am in a similar boat. I din’t Really 4x4 being in Chicago, but would like to. I will probably venture out and if I need it upgrade to CDL, bigger tires. I am guessing for my needs I will be OK. I’m not into rock climbing and mudding just to mud.

Old 12-09-2017 | 10:38 PM
Rock Crawling

A brake fluid leak anywhere could end up being a serious safety issue, you should get it sorted before anything else! These trucks are getting to the age where all brake hoses should be replaced; the rubber inside will swell from moisture over the years, and fluid will not get through. Ask me how I know. Then you get a strong pull to the opposite side of the bad hose, until you push on the brake pedal hard enough to force pressure to the caliper, and you jerk back the other way. Not fun, or safe. Not to mention no TC. Similar problem with a bad caliper; strong pull to the opposite side. If the master cylinder leaks from the reservoir, there's a cheap kit to replace it and its seals. If you have a pedal that slowly goes to the floor, you could have a bad master cyl. Hard brake lines should be inspected for rust esp where they're tucked away hidden, around the frame. Also, don't settle for a smushy pedal just bc you might have read that most D2's have that problem; get everything sorted and bleed the system properly, and you should have a strong pedal like any other car/truck.

Old 12-09-2017 | 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OP good lord fix your leaking truck. Driving around with a bottle of fluid isn't a safe alternative.

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I disagree with that order. I think traction control<center diff lock>=axle lockers

The axle lockers are only really useful if you have CDL because without it, say if you're going up hill there won't be much weight on your front wheels and they can start to spin leaving the rear without power.
Ok I see your point but
CDL < CDL + Axle lockers