Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! What's the real FIX? P130, P0301, P0306

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your truck came with Champion spark plugs from the factory.
You need new plug wires.
Dont waste your money running Seafoam in the gas tank every 2500 miles, whoever told you that is a, well, nothing nice to say so I wont say anything at all.
Injector cleaner is not needed as long as you use quality gas and it sure as hell is not needed every 2500 miles.
You know you can order parts online right?
Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories

Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had very good experiences with Land Rover Parts & Rover Accessories From Atlantic British | Discovery, Range Rover, LR3, LR2, Defender, Freelander and Land Rover Series Parts & Accessories.

I would try doing the wire change myself a year ago but I am recovering from cancer treatment as well as working fulltime so the energy and time necessary is a little scarce. I am more concerned about getting my sweet Disco perfect again then anything else. Just don't want to throw money down a hole needlessly as my experiences with the dealer have proven to be. Last time with them they ordered a part and had it shipped to me to install after they were paid to do it. So there in is the story....

The help you guys have all provided is exceptional and I now have a good outlook on the ignition thing. That P1412 looks to be the next challenge.

Thank you

Kurt

Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Drifting

Well the wife thinks it is worth looking into.

I figure I will need the wires (Atlantic British has the Mancor 7mm set). I would think there are some gaskets that will need replacing between the plenum and the manifold (haven't found that yet). And as long as I have the plenum off, the coils should be easily accessible and changed out also. I believe the only tool I don't have for this (assuming the standard metric wrenches) would be a torque wrench. Any special tools needed.

I guess the whole job couldn't be much more irritating then those blessed sparkplugs! From what the dealer charged I figured it was a 4-5 hour job for them.

I am also assuming that should follow the procedure in the RAVE manual. As in any manual there are probably little tricks they don't mention that might make the whole job easier.

Kurt

Old 07-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the write up section for a "how to" on this, I wouldnt waste my money on the coils but I would change the crank position sensor.
That is a common fail problem on the DII and it generally fails in the 70-80k range.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
First leave the coil alone, install a new set of 8 mm wires, clear the codes then deal with the SAI codes.
By the way, how many miles on the engine and what octane gas are you using?
As for cleaning the MAF, first of all you had no codes indicating a MAF failure and cleaning our MAF's, especially when not indicated can kill theyea. m.
In the future, ask your questions first, get feed back then act, you may save some money.
Yea. Thas real cost effective, replace first then diagnose later. Way to save ur members money. Spoken like the true person who worked at a dealership only concerned with parts.
To the op...disco mike is a wealth if knowledge but sad to say his mentality is to replace everything. I work on cars for a living, day in day out. So diagnosing problems is what I do. Parts replacement with the hope that it actually fixes the problem has gotten techs fired where I work. Its ur decision what u want to do. I'll probably get banned for this like some of the other guys who actually knew what they were doing and called disco mike out. If u need to reach me, email me through my profile.
God speed and good luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Drifting
Thumbs up Replaced a few items....

Got Manacor wires and gasket for plenumn. Replaced ignition wires and while I was at it replaced the valve cover gaskets and heater/defroster block on throttle body.

P1300, P0301, and P0306 DTCs are gone! Two of the wires were really no good.

Now I have a P0414 error... will post that separately as it seems like a trojan horse. Hope for the best.

Thank you all for the help in fixing this problem!!!!! All the pointers ended in the right spot.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Drifting
Thumbs down What now????

I only had the P0414 code until this morning. Now I have P0306, P1300, P0414, P0301, and P0455 (in the order they are listed on my Innova 3130.)

Gas cap or a bad connection to the purge valve (EVAP stuff)?

I replaced the wires because of the P1300, P0301 and the P0306 why should they now reappear a week after replacement?

REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED!!!

What's next?

Kurt

Old 08-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Drifting
Cool ECM Screwing with me?

All these systems that are failing are controlled by the ECM to one degree or another. It it possible that the ECM has decided to retire?

Any test for this outside of the dealer's Testbook?

Wouldn't it thow a DTC that my 3130 would detect as a generic code or would it just show the results of the EMC?

Just keeps adding up the money!!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Post DTC's in different order

Reseated the gas cap, checked the temp sensor plug, cleaned out the intake and throttle place, checked the SAI vacuum senor connections, checked that vacuum connections were secure, and checked all ignition connections were secure.

Cleared the DTC's and drove for five miles when the CEL came back on. Engine running fine with no change when the light appeared.

The order of the DTC's on my Innova 3130 is different now - P0301, P1300, P0306, and P0414. The P0455 disappeared.

Is this a ghost?

Kurt

Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Drifting
Default Ovefrlooking a fuse, relay or something

Could this all be the result of a blown/open/shorted fuse or relay link? I just don't see the connection between the P0414 and the same ignition problem I had previously.

Kurt