Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helpful tip to prevent front driveshaft failure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:55 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

He meant the rear joint on the front shaft. Not the rear shaft.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 AM
TReK
Received 760 Likes on 628 Posts

i also haven't read anything on here about the rear driveshaft being a major issue. the rotoflex will degrade and break over time but inspecting or replacing that -- like greasing the front driveshaft -- should just be part of your regular maintenance routine.
some people do replace it with a driveshaft and diff head assembly from a d1, which deletes the rotoflex entirely.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
I don't believe shanechevelle is mistaken. I removed the original front shaft at 170,090. The original owner of the truck is my ex, I know it was never replaced.
you sir have a special case. I just rolled over to 105k miles and on my third front shaft. The rear shaft rotoflex is starting to rot, but doesn’t look like it will fail anytime soon.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 360 Likes on 282 Posts

Sounds like you have a pretty special case yourself.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like you have a pretty special case yourself.
Between my buddy and I we’ve bought/sold over 60 rovers since 2009. From Series trucks to Defenders. I’ve never seen a d2 over 150k without the front driveshaft replaced or needing replacement. I’ve seen about 4 to 5 (including my own, and my buddy’s brother) that have blown the driveshaft entirely which subsequently knocks a hole in the transmission. I’d say front driveshaft issues are the norm for these trucks.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Duly noted. I just got my very first Rover. I'll budget for 3 front shafts in the first hundred thou since apparently that's not a special case...

Edit: This is not to say that I'm not in agreement that these front DS are a problem, one of the first things I did was to put in a greaseable version, I just happen to side with shane on this one because I know that it is possible. If not the norm..

Last edited by ahab; 02-20-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Duly noted. I just got my very first Rover. I'll budget for 3 front shafts in the first hundred thou since apparently that's not a special case...

Edit: This is not to say that I'm not in agreement that these front DS are a problem, one of the first things I did was to put in a greaseable version, I just happen to side with shane on this one because I know that it is possible. If not the norm..
No reason to start issues or non-productive sarcasm. It’s not a special case for these trucks to go through a front driveshaft every 100k , if you replace with a cheap aftermarket/rebuild. Expect to replace it even sooner. I’m sorry you take offense when the intent of this thread is to be helpful.

To clarify, I’ve replaced my front driveshaft once. The previous owner also replaced it once after a critical failure which resulted in significant damage to the underside of the truck. The reason I replaced it was because the previous owner used a cheap non-oem unit and there was play in the double cardan joint.

Shane started that “the driveshaft usually fails in the rear” I believe he means the rear cardan joint of the front driveshaft. He also stated that he has had multiple failures, which is a similar situation as my own.

Last edited by Dsport; 02-20-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes. The rear of the front. Sorry for misleading.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench

No offense was taken, as someone with your experience with these things you’ve obviously seen a lot more failures than I have. And it sounds like we both misunderstood Shane but the fact remains that until you went back and clarified what you posted, these were both special cases.

And to clarify my own post, I actually bought a second Rover this past weekend. And it will be getting a new front driveshaft immediately as well, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It’s a foolish gamble to simply hope I get a second one to last as long as the first truck’s did.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

No offense was taken, as someone with your experience with these things you’ve obviously seen a lot more failures than I have. And it sounds like we both misunderstood Shane but the fact remains that until you went back and clarified what you posted, these were both special cases.

And to clarify my own post, I actually bought a second Rover this past weekend. And it will be getting a new front driveshaft immediately as well, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. It’s a foolish gamble to simply hope I get a second one to last as long as the first truck’s did.

A good greasable driveshaft should last a long time. Honestly, that damn cardan joint doesn’t help. It adds a lot of improperly balanced rotating mass. The heat and moisture surely exacerbate the issue.

Last edited by Dsport; 02-20-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Helpful tip to prevent front driveshaft failure!