Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi Lo cable won't actuate after 04 install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Lo cable won't actuate after 04 install

CDL engages but no light. But my hi lo cable won't actuate. I am using an 04 shifter and the shifter seems to get hung up on this solenoid. I have no idea how it is supposed to work. I can manually depress the solenoid button on the 04 shifter and the shifter stick will then move past this hindrance. However, I don't understand how that silver metal button gets depressed when its installed.

Should I just remove it somehow or tape it down? I know I am missing something obvious but any help would be appreciated. I am stumped!

Thanks!

Here's a link to a video that may help explain it better:

diff.lock.woes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Maybe a pic as well (if it uploaded) -
diff.lock.woes.pic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Attached Thumbnails Hi Lo cable won't actuate after 04 install-diff.lock.woes.pic.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to remove the solenoid on the 04 shifter. Your 2000'has a solenoid on the tcase itself.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

as bballjames said, you need to remove the solenoid from the 04 shifter. You need to cut the cable, remove the snap ring and it will pull right out.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better yet, remove them both before they fail on the trail.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDL Hi Lo - Solution!

Great..thanks guys. I feel really stupid now that I didn't figure that one out earlier. But the bright side is I got it working and the center console is back where it belongs. The downside is my diff lock light doesn't show up on the dash and will probably have to go in and replace the switch.Do you think its likely the switch or is there something else I should check?

I did drive for a while off road but couldn't get the light to show up. I am thinking the diff lock is engaging because the trail I had go on all the time previously caused the traction control to kick in and today with the diff lock engaged, it didn't really kick in but it would be nice to know for sure.

I was wondering if I engage diff lock in park and then turn on the ignition to trigger the TC and ABS to show show up...if that would mean the diff lock is engaged? Or perhaps that won't this work since my diff lock warning light isn't triggering?

Anyway, I very much value this board. I would not venture to do most of the things I have done without the help of this community.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just replace the switch. It's only like $20 and pretty easy to replace. And I would bet that is the issue. Shortly after I installed my shifter my detection switch stopped working and I replaced it and now everything works great.