Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi - possible new owner - would benefit from advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi - possible new owner - would benefit from advice

Hi - BMW car guy turned Land Rover guy (priority change).

Very seriously considering a 2000 Land Rover Disco II w/ 80k miles.
Original owner - very clean - incredible records.

That said, in lieu of having an official pre-purchase inspection done, I've noticed the following:

1. slight seepage around valve cover gasket - had same issue with old E36 M3, was a very mild situation and didn't cause much alarm - does mild seepage turn heavy seepage overnight? cause for alarm?
2. Oil was remarkably clean, dip stick clean as a whistle - yet there was dark "old" oil covering the lower crank case area - when viewed from dip stick side of engine block - this was not really new oil - just oil that could have been from an old PS repair, minor leak, etc - underneath of car "fairly" dry - some "minor" circle oil stains on garage floor where it is parked - again minor. Is any oil in this region cause for alarm?
3. At very low engine speeds, very slow roll, a drumming sound seems to come from front end - could actually be rumble of off idle V8, or wheel bearing type sound - cause for alarm?
4. At, 80k female driven miles, do I stand a good chance of catching any transmission issues before they crop up?

Many thanks for all responses. I would like to take the plunge - the truck will be under $6000, so I am factoring in some additional costs for future repairs - but want to know if I should pass based on aforementioned issues I noticed.

Again, the car was meticuoulsly maintained and garaged.

TJ

Old 09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. No cause for alarm. Replace valve cover gaskets.
2. Could be coming from the front seal and blowing back. You'll need to scrub the bottom of the vehicle and drive it to see where the oil is coming from.
3. This could be a worn brake pad, a wheel bearing, a cv joint, or the front axle. Don't drive it until you check out the front axle - a failure there will destroy the transmission, floor pan and transfer case.
4. Perform the 60k service ASAP. Transmission on this vehicle will be the least of your worries.....

The vehicle uses premium fuel, and lots of it. There are lots of parts available new and used and the vehicle is relatively easy to work on. I'd try to get the price down below $5k if possible.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmission should be fine, just make sure it has been serviced regularly and it will last as long as mine . The noise in the front could just be your own paranoia, I do this to myself a lot. It would be wise to track the noise down though, even if it is normal. Tell the person you are going to have it inspected by a mechanic (and actually do it), but also just take it for a little spin and get to know it a little bit. Open the hood, mess around with things and check it out.

Mine leaks, not a TON but about as much, if not more as you are describing. Its not a major problem, but a very annoying one. These vehicles just leak, its part of it.

The is a bit steep in my opinion, even at those low miles.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might be able to just tighten the vc gaskets, don't really have to replace them all of the time. It is common for them to loosen up.

Keep $1500 back for head gaskets. They usually fail once, but once repaired, hold true. oil leaks are common and should be attended to. best way to find them is to wash the engine with a pwer washer, water only. do not use chemicals on the engine. If the head gaskets have not been replaced, use this fact to lower the price. $5K would be good.

the drumming is probably a front drive shaft. Pull it off and have it re-built with servicable u-joints. The factory ones were not, and there is a double cardan joint right by one of the catalytic converters. pop it off yourself and take it to a driveline shop and they can do it for around $200. If it is not done, it will break and slapp the transmission out of the truck.

look for the 60K service list and plan on doind it regardless of service history. The main problem with these things is maintenance. Get a good baseline to start from. It has been said that leaks happen, and they do, but they can be fixed. I have been leak free for 50K now, but I have done a lot to the truck.