Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Extra Headlight detailed installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Default HID Extra Headlight detailed installation

I have been wanting to do this upgrade for awhile and hearing +/-'s from different people I decided to get a set for the fog lights and Headlights.

I chose 5000k temperature and 03/04 Discovery's use H7 bulbs. The install is straight forward but I will do a write-up for those who are interested. I purchased them from www.hidextra.com I got a great deal $70 free shipping for fogs and headlights. It was a one week new years sale. Now each set is $59.99 so $120 total. After reading reviews I chose the 35watt sets and all the research I did on Honda Toyota websites where more people do these mods...a lot of people concluded that the higher price sets in the $200 -$300 range were not that much higher quality.

Overall this set seems nice. All the connectors come with water resistance clips and rubber seals. I did add some plastic cable wire protector to the wires but overall it looks good. I opted to install the HID's in the low beams and keep the high beams standard halogen. That way I can keep the ability to flash people quickly at night for passing. I know HID's take a little while to warm up to temp.

Disclaimer: HID light up grades may or maynot be illegal in some states, perform this upgrade at your own risk.
I used 5000k lights to look as close to factory as possible.

Headlight low beam installation:

1. Remove the grill. Unscrew 3 Philips Christmas tree retainers and gently lift up.
2. Remove 2 top Philips screws from each headlight. Now open the little access door to the left and right of each headlight. There is a 3rd screw to remove. Be careful not to drop it. This is only for the 03/04 Discovery's.
3. Place both headlights on a blanket on a workbench or in a safe place they cannot fall on the floor. Remove the gray circle back for the low beam. (The low beam is the largest circle in the front of the light)
4. Next your need a drill and a Forstner or paddle bit to drill a 7\8" hole in the cap. The wiring harness for the HID bulb goes through this hole. The kit comes with a rubber water resistant grommet this fits nicely in the cap.

5. If you have 2 wood clamps and scrap piece of wood this method works best to drill the hole in the caps. See picture below.

This was the most difficult part of the install. Now to connect plug & play wires.

6. Next you will need a set of eyeglass screw drivers. Take the plug that plugs into the inightor ballast, as shown below. The clip must be removed so it can thread threw the 7/8" hole you just drilled in the headlight cap.

7. Press toward the outside of the plug to push in the retaining clip. The wire will pull out from the back. Do the same for both the red & black wire.

8. Now run the wires through the cap with the HID light tip facing opposite of the cap.

9. Now reassemble the plug clip you just took apart, insert the HID bulb in the headlight with its correct orientation. Take care not to touch the HID bulb with your fingers similar to how would avoid touching a halogen bulb. There is only one correct way the bulb can go in. Match up the keyed orientation. Plug the flat connector plugs (black & red) wires into the original H7 bulb socket. You may need to tuck the black connector down into the headlight assembly to get the cap to fit on well. Then let out the slack in the wires through the grommet. Next, position the headlight back in front of the Rover. Feed the wires through back of the headlight opening to connect them to the ballast.

10. Connect up the wires to the ballast. Use your best judgment on where to install the ballast. I chose an open area next to the radiator. The kit includes a bracket & double sided tape. I chose the double sided tape for a quicker install.

11. Since the ballast is essentially a transformer, I know it can get hot. I chose this spot as there was plenty of air flow from the engine fan and my lower plastic engine/rock shield is removed. I will need to add a second ballast near this one for the fog lights. I may end up stacking them with a piece of heat shield in between. After driving around for a day. The ballasts are barely warm to touch, so I think stacking them would be fine.

Testing 1...2...3... the the drivers side. Works!

This is the look before HID upgrade These are Sylvania Ultra H7 bulbs

HIDs 5000k temp installed. Now for some night driving any adjustment if needed

Testing the 1st fog light.

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-08-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

HID retrofits to halogen headlamp housings are illegal and dangerous to other drivers.
If you cause or are involved in an accident because of them there's a good chance your insurance company will tell you you're own your own.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-07-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Antichrist
Read my Disclaimer!

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Disclaimer: HID light up grades may or may not be illegal in some states, perform this upgrade at your own risk.
This is an installation instruction thread. I wasn't looking for a anti HID light crusader. We all take risks....drive 10 miles over the speed limit. Drive around with 175lbs steel bumper on the front of our Rovers, drive a 4900lbs vehicle.

Show me some facts from insurance agency's from specific states that HID upgrades are illegal. If it was that large of an issue we would see it in the news. State laws probably have not caught up to this yet. There is nothing that voids your insurance policy, not even a DUI. They are bound to pay up if your policy is paid. Maybe not for off road driving. I guess there is alwasy Ken Nunn.
The most important part an installer can do is make sure the HID's are pointed towards the ground. I have been blinded badly many more times by halogen headlights than HID lights. It is really easy to tell when someone has their headlights setup wrong.
The reflector in the 2003/2004 Discovery's is different than in the 99-02. It projects a wider beam that can be pointed more directly at the road. I will comment back in a few months on how many times I have been flashed by other drivers while night driving. I suspect none. Give me a brake man, I didnt go for the getto looking 10,000K purple HID's, my intention was closest to the factory look as possible.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lights look good man, I'm sure many folks out there will be pleased to see a detailed write up on the upgrade....If you blind me and I run off the road I'll sue you for your truck!

Did you get any before/after shots at night from the driver's seat?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here is a short drive with the HID's tonight. Just about over shot the driveway. Lets hear it for the snow, ABS and TC working its magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkujw1zZUIo

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-07-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by bosshogt
Antichrist
Read my Disclaimer!
They are illegal in all states.

This is an installation instruction thread. I wasn't looking for a anti HID light crusader.
It's important that people know all HID retrofits to halogen housings are illegal in case they are presented mis-information by someone, like someone saying "they may or may not be illegal in your state."
We all take risks....drive 10 miles over the speed limit. Drive around with 175lbs steel bumper on the front of our Rovers, drive a 4900lbs vehicle.
10 over the limit may or may not be unsafe to other drivers, but yeah, it's illegal. Aftermarket bumpers aren't illegal. The NHTSA regs only address OEM bumpers. It's not illegal to drive a 4900lb vehicle.

Show me some facts from insurance agency's from specific states that HID upgrades are illegal.
Insurance companies don't decide what legal and not legal for cars.
They generally don't list modifications that are illegal and a danger to other drivers.

The reflector in the 2003/2004 Discovery's is different than in the 99-02. It projects a wider beam that can be pointed more directly at the road.
It doesn't matter, still illegal and dangerous.

I will comment back in a few months on how many times I have been flashed by other drivers while night driving.
Doesn't matter, I've given up flashing other drivers, and I rarely get flashed when I am distracted and leave my halogens on high. Not getting flashed is meaningless.

Last edited by antichrist; 01-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Isn't that indecent exposure?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by disc oh no
Isn't that indecent exposure?
In my case, yeah, pretty indecent. LOL

Old 01-08-2011, 02:14 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting and taking the time to compile this presentation..

Great job boss hog t.

Top notch. Brother. Kudos!

Quick Reply: HID Extra Headlight detailed installation