Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID kit from eBay

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by antichrist
The NHTSA doesn't recognize the classification, at least not for HID conversion kits.

Yeah, it's unlikely. But more and more people are getting annoyed and blinded by the kits (the reason why law enforcement is becoming more and more aware of them) so if you happened to get someone on the phone who knows they are illegal to sell...
Once again, not allowed for highway/road use. Credit card companies won't have an issue with perfectly legal hardware(HID lights are legal for offload use, just like aftermarket lights on your bumper or roof).

Sure, you're not allowed to use them on the road. This doesn't mean they're contraband.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Rock Crawling

The NHTSA doesn't recognize the classification, at least not for HID conversion kits.

Yeah, it's unlikely. But more and more people are getting annoyed and blinded by the kits (the reason why law enforcement is becoming more and more aware of them) so if you happened to get someone on the phone who knows they are illegal to sell...
I cant believe it has come to this...at least your name sums it up...

Buy the friggin lights and if they dont work get your money back...done deal.

But you're telling me if i buy these for my dune buggy or hell to be used on the outside of my house as a porch light to blind idiotic people like yourself as they walk up....yeah its america i can use a 12V battery to run a light if i damn please....and when i get the packaged from who-ever on e-bay that sold it to me and its not what i ordered or doesnt work...i have never had e-bay user or e-bay not refund my money...and if you had to take it a step further to your credit card company i dont think the guy on the phone is going to say...um...sir these are illegal per section 10.122.342.give.me.a.break of the NHTSA code book...

Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jwigum
Once again, not allowed for highway/road use. Credit card companies won't have an issue with perfectly legal hardware(HID lights are legal for offload use, just like aftermarket lights on your bumper or roof).

Sure, you're not allowed to use them on the road. This doesn't mean they're contraband.
OK, first of all, yes, it's unlikely that a bank would have any issues with a charge back since it's an obscure area of the law.
On the other hand, banks are typically very careful about complying with the letter of the law if it means not getting dinged by the feds. I'm speaking from personal experience here about what lengths banks will go to to make sure they are compliant.

As for off-road use, it has no legal standing regarding lighting that must be FMVSS No. 108 compliant, which covers head lights.
I didn't feel like digging through the NHTSA web site, but the SEMA site covers it correctly in this case.
Is “For Off-Road Use Only” a legal term?
"Off-road" and "off-road vehicles" are not terms defined in NHTSA regulations and therefore have no legal meaning. Simply stated, the manufacturer cannot control or enforce how the product is used (for off-road use only). Any equipment which is subject to the FMVSS or manufactured to replace equipment covered by the FMVSS must be compliant.
Federal Regulation of Aftermarket Parts: A Guide to Compliance | Specialty Equipment Market Association

If you want to look on the NHTSA web site you'll find that HID retrofit kits can "not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)"

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling

You're delusional, seriously go get your head checked, if you think e-bay or the credit card company will refund his money if he doesn't get what was advertised because the lights are illegal on a car...because of the simple fact they wont check or care or.....i could have bought them to install them ANYWHERE besides my car...

And sure if he were to get into an accident where somehow the lighting had anything to do with it causing the insurance company to look into it so carefully that they pulled his headlights out...but if you are going to live in fear like that i would suggest that you dont modify your truck in any other way because there will be someway they will be able to nail you since it has been modified.

I think the majority of the people on here, probably including you, have modified their trucks enough for it somehow to be misconstrued and illegal in some way. So you better go back under your rock and stay their the rest of your life...you people drive me nuts...

Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by nychaze
and if you had to take it a step further to your credit card company i dont think the guy on the phone is going to say...um...sir these are illegal per section 10.122.342.give.me.a.break of the NHTSA code book...
Do you even have any idea how banking works? Unless you have some super duper credit card you don't call up and say, "Hey, I got cheated by XYZ" and get a response of "Oh, ok, here's your money back."
Instead, you have to provide details of who, what, when and where. Right now that's probably all you need to get your money back. But all it takes is one person who works in the card services dept to have been blinded by HID's, find out they are in fact illegal, and report it to the bank's legal department. It would then be trivial for them to know when a dispute regarding HID's hits the system. What the bank would then do is anyone's guess. But people have been arrested for depositing stolen checks that they had no idea were stolen.

Frankly, I'm surprised ebay even lets them be sold, considering all the other stuff they prohibit that actually is legal.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Baja

You're delusional, seriously go get your head checked, if you think e-bay or the credit card company will refund his money if he doesn't get what was advertised because the lights are illegal on a car...because of the simple fact they wont check or care or.....i could have bought them to install them ANYWHERE besides my car...
What part of "illegal to import or sell" do you not understand? It's an extremely simple concept.

I think the majority of the people on here, probably including you, have modified their trucks enough for it somehow to be misconstrued and illegal in some way. So you better go back under your rock and stay their the rest of your life...you people drive me nuts...
Feel free to point out the NHTSA regs that common modifications (aside from HID conversions) are in violation of.

Last edited by antichrist; 06-25-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling

Do you even have any idea how banking works? Unless you have some super duper credit card you don't call up and say, "Hey, I got cheated by XYZ" and get a response of "Oh, ok, here's your money back."
Instead, you have to provide details of who, what, when and where. Right now that's probably all you need to get your money back. But all it takes is one person who works in the card services dept to have been blinded by HID's, find out they are in fact illegal, and report it to the bank's legal department. It would then be trivial for them to know when a dispute regarding HID's hits the system. What the bank would then do is anyone's guess. But people have been arrested for depositing stolen checks that they had no idea were stolen.

Frankly, I'm surprised ebay even lets them be sold, considering all the other stuff they prohibit that actually is legal.
It would never go as far as the credit card company to begin with...have you ever used e-bay before?

Show me where it says its illegal to import HID in the NHSTA for use in my kitchen? Please show me where it says that...maybe illegal to import or sell for use on a vehicle, i bought them for my kitchen.

Havent you been out from under your rock too long? Arent you afraid someone is going to sue your ***? if i were you i would get back under there before they find out your modified your cigarette lighter.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Baja

Show me where it says its illegal to import HID in the NHSTA for use in my kitchen? Please show me where it says that...maybe illegal to import or sell for use on a vehicle, i bought them for my kitchen.
LMAO you're hilarious.
You need to take a deep breath and slow down so you don't look so silly.
Where did I say anything about what you're buying them for? The only topic I've addressed is what someone is selling them for.
Yeah, they might be legal if they advertized them as "Convert your kitchen lighting to 12v HID lighting with H7 bases" then they'd be perfectly legal.
Good luck finding some on ebay, or anywhere else, advertized like that.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of any residential or commercial lighting that uses bulb bases designed specifically for automotive use, so I doubt even if advertized for kitchen lighting that that's be legal. But hey, I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure it won't ever be put to the test.

Last edited by antichrist; 06-25-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Rock Crawling

LMAO you're hilarious.
You need to take a deep breath and slow down so you don't look so silly.
Where did I say anything about what you're buying them for? The only topic I've addressed is what someone is selling them for.
Yeah, they might be legal if they advertized them as "Convert your kitchen lighting to 12v HID lighting with H7 bases" then they'd be perfectly legal.
Good luck finding some on ebay, or anywhere else, advertized like that.

On the other hand, I'm not aware of any residential or commercial lighting that uses bulb bases designed specifically for automotive use, so I doubt even if advertized for kitchen lighting that that's be legal. But hey, I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure it won't ever be put to the test.
Um...hate to make you sound a little silly but it doesn't mention the word "CAR" in any of the description.

Description:
"H7 5000k Pure White XENON HID CONVERSION KIT"

HID (High Intensity Discharge) refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb. A normal halogen bulb uses a filament which can burn out in as little as 250 hours. HID bulbs are gas filled capsules that are rated for a lifespan of nearly 4000 hours. HID bulbs also shine much brighter because of this technology. With our HID Bulb's installed nothing on the road will surprise you again. Everything is lit up clear as day."

Awesome! just what i was looking for a H7 conversion kit for my kitchen bulbs! "nothing on the road will surprise you again" Great! my windows are close to the road and i dont like to be surprised!

Silly boy I think we all know that you're a little over the top with you're letter of the law BS.

Last edited by nychaze; 06-25-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Baja

Um...hate to make you sound a little silly but it doesn't mention the word "CAR" in any of the description.
LMAO
Come on, at least present a bit of a challenge. Shooting fish in a barrel is no challenge.
Compatibility
Please choose your vehicle year, make and model for specific results.
Not sure what size your vehicle uses? Click Here to look up your vehicle's bulb size.
As anyone with half a brain can see they are obviously being sold for use in "vehicles", which is it illegal to do. It matters not one bit what you are buying them for and is completely irrelevant.

By the way, FMVSS, the applicable law, stands for: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, not Federal Motor Car Safety Standards.

...you're a little over the top with you're letter of the law BS.
See, that's the thing. A lot of people don't know any better and read some uneducated BS on the internet about how it's not a problem because, "I'm buying them for use in my kitchen", or "I'm buying them for off-road use" and think it's actually true.

I'm of the opinion that people should have the actual facts and then decide for themselves if they want to run the risk based on the facts rather than opinion.
If they choose to buy them once they have the facts, then that's their lookout.

If you want to say, "Yes, they are illegal but I don't give a damn", that's different than all the BS you're pulling out of thin air because you're so vested in trying rationalize it.

Last edited by antichrist; 06-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: HID kit from eBay