Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

To late in the year to start a good arguement. I have driven with them for nearly a year and until you do and have first hand experience with them, you really can't judge how they work.
I have to say, there are now a number of people running them with great results here in Colorado and we are sure happy with them.
As for comparing them to the round factory HID's, yes there is a difference cause they are designed to put out more of a controlled beam, where if you install a HID conversion into out lamp assembly you get the same full rectangular beam with the same pattern in front of the truck, just more intense light.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
mike i usually agree with everything you say but seriously? you can't tell the difference between HID and halogen headlights? When i drive the busy highways around NYC it is SO so easy to spot people with HID conversions in their halogen lamps, stock HID or stock halogens. You can easily tell the difference. Most people that put HID conversion kits in their older honda civics, or cadillac escalades don't put a 6000k kit. they use a 8000k-12000k kit. Easily blinding everyone in the oncoming lanes with a purple or blue light. When installed properly as in the newer model Acura, Land Rover, Mercedes and BMW vehicles the lights are not blinding and are in fact beamed directly on to the road surface.

You had mentioned the reflectors, on the HID extra website i can't seem to find anywhere that is says the bulbs include a reflector built into the light.

The LEAST irresponsable way to illegally modify your lights is to ensure the HID Kit is supplied with the appropriate reflectors to hopefully save the oncoming traffic from temporary blinding!

IMO you should stick to the halogens use a brighter halogen bulb and if necessary installs some auxillary lighting.

the daniel stern website has a great write up on it this whole subject

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
I was talking about a HID using the 35 watt, 6000k lights not a set of flame throwing 55 watt and or 8,000 to 15,000K lights.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to say that here in Louisiana we use them with great success. Before going HID I was using Sylvania Silverstars they are whiter and brighter but not HIDs. As Mike said you need to run 5000k to 6000k with 35 watt ballast. 5000k is close to factory lighting 6000k is whiter light with little color shift. I personally would be more concerned with using my blinkers than running HIDs. Just my 2 cents

Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey spike you know anyone that has tried the Philips Xtreme Power? the retail around $37 but claim 80% more light than standard halogens. right now i'm runnin Sylvania Ultras but want to go over to Philips.
Yes I use them in My D2 in the headlights and fog lights, a vast improvement...would not hesitate to recommend them.

This is a pet hate of mine!! after market HID kits should be banned imo, they blind oncoming traffic. They are illegal in the UK to fit to a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb.

Factory fit or nothing imo. A HID bulb does not work correctly with a halogen headlight / reflector.......FACT..

And ANY vehicle that comes from the factory with HID or "zenon" headlamps always has a self levelling and headlight washer system

Becoming all to common "over here" with "boy racers" and hot hatches.........I get sick of being blinded, they usually get 220 watts of roof lights thrown back at them !!!

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 12-30-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
they usually get 220 watts of roof lights thrown back at them !!!
LOL; that is funny!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Yes I use them in My D2 in the headlights and fog lights, a vast improvement...would not hesitate to recommend them.

This is a pet hate of mine!! after market HID kits should be banned imo, they blind oncoming traffic. They are illegal in the UK to fit to a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb.

Factory fit or nothing imo. A HID bulb does not work correctly with a halogen headlight / reflector.......FACT..

And ANY vehicle that comes from the factory with HID or "zenon" headlamps always has a self levelling and headlight washer system

Becoming all to common "over here" with "boy racers" and hot hatches.........I get sick of being blinded, they usually get 220 watts of roof lights thrown back at them !!!
Thanks Nick, i will have to check the Philips out. as for the HID's on the racers its a pet peeve of mine as well. I'm dying to get my roof rack and lights installed so i can throw light back at them. cheers.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
All you need is a complete kit, usually 35 watt, 6000K lights and the ballast, it is plug and play from there.
Try this link, http://www.hidextra.com/
If you have any questions, get back to me.
how much does it cost now??

Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

click the link...