Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitched squeal from heater fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched squeal from heater fan

My heater blower unit has started to emit a very high pitched squeal when the the fan is on ( position one or two bars)
When it is on MAX there is no sound, also no squeal when in defrost mode.

Is there a quick fix. It looks complicated to take the glove box out and remove the motor - lots of screws to remove etc. If I take it to a Rover guy, is it a long procedure to replace/grease/check the fan blade - $$$?

Derek

Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: High pitched squeal from heater fan

Sounds like you may have something stuck inside the blower, like leaves or something.
Mike

Old 12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Drifting

Morfa,
to gain access to fan pull the button rivets below the glove box cover and remove cover. this is below the glove box
you will see the motor for fan. Disconnect electronics and drop fan down by removing the 4 screws holding it in. you can
clean fan squirrel cage of any debris and inspect motor for any wear on bearings by moving shaft from side to side. If there is
any play in shaft bearings may be going out or motor brushes may be bad. It really only takes about 10 mins to get to fan
from the bottom of the glove box.

Irwin

Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Overlanding

Thanks Disco Mike and Igriego,

It is freezing here today and I don't have a garage to work in. I was able to work outside for a short time to remove the 4 bolts and put my hand in the back to check for leaves. I found none. It now sounds like this:
http://www.morfa.com/squeal.wav

I guess it is time to take it to my Rover guy (not dealer). Do you think it should take him an hour to remove and put back the blower unit and if it is the blower any ideas who might have a good second hand unit?

Thanks Derek

Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM
Three Wheeling

MY BLOWER MOTOR IS DOING THE SAME THING. NEED A NEW MOTOR.
$250 NEW OR $125 USED ON EBAY. WHAT DO DO THINK?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:16 AM
Three Wheeling

I just had a very similar issue with my heater fan. I have a 2001, a local do it yourself yard had a 99 so I pulled the fan out of that vehicle to put in mine. Unfortunately the fit was the same but the electrical connection was different and I didn't have the spade terminals on hand to make a new harness. Anyway, since I had the "bad" motor out of the vehicle I examined it and there are two removable pieces from the motor housing. One kind of is "L" shapedand is on the side of the motor. Using a flathead screwdriver I popped this piece out and was able to clean out the built up carbon dust from the brushes of the motor with a vacuum/blower. The other removable plate was a round circle about the size of a dime in the center of the bottom of the motor housing (opposite the fan). I popped this off and put a couple of drops of household oil in their to lube the bearings. Since doing this I haven't had any squeal. My squeal was intermittent, kind of like you described. Anyway, the motor I fixed was a Bosh and the older one I bought was a Denso; the Denso did not have this little access point to the bearings so I don't know if that fix would work for the older DII's. I'm not sure when they switched motors.