Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed rough ride - tie rods and alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High speed rough ride - tie rods and alignment

Background: 2000 D2, 160k. Before finding this forum and RAVE I didn't know how to do an oil change but since I've finished Mike's 60k maintenance, rebuilt drive shafts, and replaced the water pump. I couldn't have afforded to keep her if I would have had to pay the shop to fix everything that broke. Thanks to everybody for that.

I've noticed for a while that the ride gets pretty rough at high speeds (65mph +) - everything rattles and vibrates and is just an overall annoying and loud ride. Speeds below 60 are fine and she is smooth and pleasant. I know its an old truck and its not going to ride like new, but I'd like to improve it as much as possible.

I just got 4 new tires (not just for the issue above, needed them anyway) and had them balanced. When I tried to get the alignment done, they told me I needed "tie rod ends (left outer), and drag link to tie rod" before they could align it, and wanted $500 to do it. I'm planning to do it myself, and am looking for the advice of this expert panel.

Without knowing any better, I'd get this:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QFS000010.cfm
and this:
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QHG000050.cfm

...unless the second includes the tie rod ends? Do I need the tie rod end tool they sell for $30? I'm planning to consult RAVE, but do you guys have any other tips for this job?

Besides doing this so I can get it aligned, is there anything else I should look for/try to help the rough ride?

Thanks,
Kellen