LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 LR3 Control Arms and Tie Rods @ 57K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 LR3 Control Arms and Tie Rods @ 57K?

not a mechanic but do they both go out at the same time? also cost to replace is $1950 from a local mechanic. Told me the front wheels are wearing from the outside and need to replace since the bearings are loose? anyhow seems like a steep price and also given i've never off roaded the LR3. anyone know if this is a common issue with the LR3? i had a toyota FJ prior to this with Zero issues @ 100k miles.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There was actually a TSB on this issue, take it to the dealer and talk to them before having any work done.

Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information
Land Rover Parts, Accessories and Information

Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Drifting

so you saying it might be covered? not sure what a TSB is.
thanks

Old 12-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin

However my local LR dealer said that once the vehicle is out of warranty, the TSB doesn't qualify you for "free" work. But no harm asking. Maybe I have a mean local dealer which is why I DIY or have a friendly local independent as I am out of the warranty phase.

Wheel bearings and suspension bushes are also considered "wear and tear" items I believe so the small print gets you there....

I suspect the FJ weighs in at quite a bit less than the LR3 - that puts extra load on the bushings and bearings regardless of off or on road activities. As I've said before, think of the LR3 as a SUV with a jet engine. Even if you never turn on the jet engine your maintenance schedule is going to be affected by that. Same when people say "I never off roaded it...". In which case, maybe the LR3 wasn't your ideal vehicle choice.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your price includes: inner/outer tie rods, new A arms, new bearings (sealed hub unit) then that quote does not look out of line.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Drifting

yea it does. going on there word on this. i've not noticed any issues while driving thats why i am a bit suspicious.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

jesus christ the idiot is just throwing parts at the problem. Remember you can get a second opinion. I know I would. Most of the time we get wheel bearings and maybe an inner tie rod. Some ball joints are known to go but they can be replaced separate. If the bolts are seized in the control arms then you need new ones.

Get a second opinion.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I've read these issue do happen, but not too often. Glad I have a warranty the exceeds 100k!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Mudding

On my 06 currently at 165k kms (aprox 100k miles) I have replaced both lower control arms, front bearings, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links and the sway bar bushing shims.

When each item was replaced they needed replacing. The upside is that it restores your handling to new.

Whether or not all those items need to be replaced on yours. Tough Call. Like Rovin said. Get a second opinion.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ktm_525....

I have a slight/light knock at the steering wheel when I depart from my driveway, turning the steering wheel to the left.

In my experience, it sounds like the swaybar bushing. I that what you felt that indicated that issue for replacement?

BTW....Every time I see your forum handle, I think of my old Dukie....she was such a hooligan...

Quick Reply: 06 LR3 Control Arms and Tie Rods @ 57K?