Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting a deer at 40+mph...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Exclamation Hitting a deer at 40+mph...

No, it has not happened to me ... yet.
If such event happens, the deer coming in front out of nowhere would not slow down the vehicle considerably, but I suspect the air bag would deploy and impair driver vision to the road ahead.

That lack of visual may be more dangerous than hitting the deer for staying on the road while braking-in-shock and not falling into a ditch and rolling over.

What would your experiences recommended as precaution of such event, and even worse, at night ?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The worry is not the damage to the vehicle. The worry is the deer coming thru the windshield, at which time you will be struck by a heavy animal with sharp bones and hooves. Deer love to nibble on open grass just about 15 feet from the woods, a place where they can run back to. Some guys install those deer whistles that make a high pitched noise to alert the deer. I drive 60 miles thru the back roads every night through thick white tail country, and it is not uncommon to see them standing in my yard when I arrive home. Just have insurance and keep your eyes open. The one I have struck with my minivan did not trigger the air bag, it was a glancing blow.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
BMW
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have good luck on your side lol. I live in MN where deer are rampant and I have never hit one. ( been close though)

I have a brush-guard, which might prevent the airbag from deploying, but I will add that no one that I know has ever hit a deer and had the airbag go off.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

WHEN a deer runs out in front of you you MUST NOT VEER to miss the deer, hit the damn thing.
Mash your foot to the floor on the brake and plow into it, more people die from hitting trees or rolling over than from hitting a deer.
Deer never actually come through the windshield, they might smash it if you are driving a Civic or other low car, but they will not come through the glass.
Once you are stopped you can pull off of the road.
Airbags deflate within seconds of deployment so they wont block your vision.
Slow down at night, keep a eye out for shiny things by the side of the road (their eyes reflecting the light) and use your bright lights when possible.
Better to be late than not make it at all.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Agree with hit 'em, same for dawgs. I once slammed on brakes to miss a dog, spun 360 several times, and ended up 4 inches from a concrete post. In my first new car. Never again.

Now as far as "never" going thru the windshield.... maybe.

Attached Thumbnails Hitting a deer at 40+mph...-deer_accident_john2_t607.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Good common sense, thanks.
I always have had between my ears that "hit the damn thing" instead of dodging...

I had a close call last monday at 6 AM on interstate 64, ran over the ball of meat at 50mph on the left lane with a huge truck and three cars hugging each other on the right lane, plus two rolled over cars in the center median, all caused by the animal.

Edit - added: Found it ----> http://www.lex18.com/news/7-vehicles...-county-crash/

Last edited by Externet; 11-16-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Agree with hit 'em, same for dawgs. I once slammed on brakes to miss a dog, spun 360 several times, and ended up 4 inches from a concrete post. In my first new car. Never again.

If a windshield is properly installed that should never happen.
I suppose it could, but there is a reason glass replacement cost so much.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit one about 40-45mph in a Freelander. Barely noticed. Deer bounced off, landed in the ditch and ran off. Broke one front headlight and cracked front fender (plastic ya know). Replaced the headlight.
Now, if that woulda happen on my motorcycle....

Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz

LrFlip, had one come through the windshield of his wife's P38. It happens, on this one spike your wrong. He had a ton of pics in his thread about it on dweb.

It wasn't a defective windshield or a bad install. That much mass hitting will find away through the glass.

Quick Reply: Hitting a deer at 40+mph...