Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Gas Tank: Help Porfavor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Gas Tank: Help Porfavor

First portion: background story build Up

Questions/nut and bolts below

I've filled my 02 DII up twice since I got her a couple weeks ago. The first time I was in the convenience store and my ladybird was putting the fuel in. As I came out I noticed a little commotion and she was hoppin around hibbiddy bibbiddy and fuel was flowing from under the car. Bummer. It stopped fairly quickly, the gauge showed full, and she told me that the automatic shut off occurred and when she went to take the handle out it continued fueling; so with my unfamililiarity with LRs I theorized there might be a vapor back-up of sorts and the gas discharging from underneath the car was most likely a safety feature to prevent feulers from getting sprayed in the face (happened to me a while back with another car). Needless to say, denial. I recently filled up again, purposely to test the scenario and it occurred again.

Upon further inspection, I noticed the fuel must be coming from the top of the fuel gas tank (out of eyesight) and looks like the origin might be somewhere along the underside of the metal ribbon harness/support system to the tank.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue, ie: is this common?

What are the negative effects of driving with a possible hole in the top of the tank? (will I explode)

What are some solutions? (I found a parts car and was thinking of swapping tanks)

What precautions/advisements to the repair of a gas tank?

Signed,

Concerned newb

Thanks for your help Forum!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Certainly a fire hazard plus a lot of fuel evaporation at the worse case. Be sure any hose is tight. I had a tiny leak at the hose from fuel neck to tank. Do you smell gas, or is it more that some is purged out, evaoprates, and it does not repeat while you drive around running down the tank? Might be some of the evap system. Maybe try just filling partially while you work this out. Seems like you would have codes if it was a leak, as the CPU checks for tank pressure and can detect a loose fuel cap.

Note - once a disco starts on fire it is all over in a matter of a few minutes.

You might want to review the RAVE on the tank and the emission system. There was also a dealer recall on tanks, but I think that is for D1s, could ask your dealer. Would not park inside the garage or carport until resolved.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Roll up the carpet in the cargo area, open the fuel pump access hatch.
Go to gas station, open cargo door, top off the gas tank, look for leaks.
Could be a bad retainer seal.