Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Snap...$1,700 '01 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Dude, DO NOT RUN the truck with the light flashing. That means shut it off. Get a cheap code scanner so you can see why the CEL is going off like that. I have heard of a couple of people that have let their trucks warm up in the driveway unattended and overheated. It dropped a liner and toasted the engine. Keep an eye on this baby and pretend she is a supermodel. She will cost you a lot, and will be gone if you leave her on by herself....

It only flashed intermittently, and never got hot. I was with it the whole time.

Last edited by tornado_735; 02-28-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

SRS lamp is a good indication of low voltage. ie, low battery.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

hmm...maybe I'll try swapping out the battery with my Jeep tomorrow after work. It turns over just fine though. I don't know. Just trying to get the little crap out of the way before the big crap i.e. the tranny and driveshaft.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
If somebody wants to put their own life and property in danger that is their choice but putting other people's lives and property in danger is VERY irresponsible.
I agree with you in principle, but I'm a realist. I'm more worried about the millions of people driving down the road on bald tires, than I am about the one off 'maybe everything that could go wrong does go wrong' event like this one. Even if the hitch were rated lower - it's still unlikely to have failed. Out of 100 attempts - it'll fail 2 times. But those millions driving on bald tires have those tires fail daily. So as a result of having spent many years on the planet - I've simply learned to be a bit more focused in my concerns and keep an eye on the things that have a much greater likelihood of causing harm. This guys tow job is VERY far down the concern list since castastrophe was fairly remote. Possible? Yep. But there is a statistically better chance of being run over by a garbage truck - but I don't let that fill my days with worry either. It's kinda like when a cop goes on a high speed chase. It's a pretty dumb and irresponsible manuever on his part when you stop to consider all the lives needlessly being put in harms way - yet we see it happen time and time again. It's just part of life. Even the supposedly 'responsible' do irresponsible things all the time....

Old 02-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Suede
I agree with you in principle, but I'm a realist. I'm more worried about the millions of people driving down the road on bald tires, than I am about the one off 'maybe everything that could go wrong does go wrong' event like this one. Even if the hitch were rated lower - it's still unlikely to have failed. Out of 100 attempts - it'll fail 2 times. But those millions driving on bald tires have those tires fail daily. So as a result of having spent many years on the planet - I've simply learned to be a bit more focused in my concerns and keep an eye on the things that have a much greater likelihood of causing harm. This guys tow job is VERY far down the concern list since castastrophe was fairly remote. Possible? Yep. But there is a statistically better chance of being run over by a garbage truck - but I don't let that fill my days with worry either. It's kinda like when a cop goes on a high speed chase. It's a pretty dumb and irresponsible manuever on his part when you stop to consider all the lives needlessly being put in harms way - yet we see it happen time and time again. It's just part of life. Even the supposedly 'responsible' do irresponsible things all the time....
The thing that scared me the most was when it was pouring down rain going down these little county roads back to the freeway. That made me a little nervous. The rest of the trip was pretty anti-climactic. We stopped and rested a few times...I caught about a 45 minute nap at a rest stop in Pa...I would only put $15 or $20 bucks worth of fuel at a time, and every time we stopped for a rest or to take a leak, I checked everything...the hitch, the tires, the tie down, the chains, the lights...everything. So was I being irresponsible towing a vehicle heavier than I probabl should have? Maybe, but I did it in a responsible manner.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you had us worried when you actually contemplated towing 400 miles with a tow strap.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by nynole
I think you had us worried when you actually contemplated towing 400 miles with a tow strap.
It was kind of a joke, but that's how badly I wanted it. I wouldn't have done it anyway, lol! Gonna put some feelers out today...I looked up transmissions closer than Kentucky, and there are several for less than $700 here in Columbus. Are the transmissions interchangable between all the Disco II's? I looked up the 01's and came back with several 99's and 00's as well. One had like, 99,000 miles on it. Oh, my Disco only has 112K on the clock. And where is the compressor for the air suspension? My light is on, but I can hear something like a little compressor running. IDK...gotta get ready for work.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

As long as the trans is for a 1999-2002 DII it will fit.
But keep in mind that in 1999.5 started the DII model, the DI dates from 1994-1999.5.
DII 1999.5-2004 BUT the 2003 and 2004's have a different trans, it is longer by like 15mm or so so it wont fit.

I also lied to U-Haul, told them that I was picking up a Geo Prism, but we actually took my sons first truck to the scrap yard.
5400lbs for a 1985 3/4 ton Dodge.

I was going to upload a pick of it on the dolly but it wont let me.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
As long as the trans is for a 1999-2002 DII it will fit.
But keep in mind that in 1999.5 started the DII model, the DI dates from 1994-1999.5.
DII 1999.5-2004 BUT the 2003 and 2004's have a different trans, it is longer by like 15mm or so so it wont fit.

I also lied to U-Haul, told them that I was picking up a Geo Prism, but we actually took my sons first truck to the scrap yard.
5400lbs for a 1985 3/4 ton Dodge.

I was going to upload a pick of it on the dolly but it wont let me.
LOL! Big difference between the Dodge and the Geo. It's sunny out, but the wind chill is too low to do anything under the hood of that Disco except freeze my *** off. The website I looked at (in case you weren't aware of it) is http://www.car-part.com

Old 03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Here are a few pics...as you can see the dashboard is lit up like a Christmas tree.
Name:  100_1548-1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  31.8 KB
Name:  100_1545-1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  81.4 KB
Name:  100_1546-1-1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  66.2 KB
Name:  100_1547-1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  53.9 KB